Thread: Mother Earth News -- Ultimate Recycling - Relocating A House

Mother Earth News -- Ultimate Recycling - Relocating A House

My brother was going to demolish the family home (and build on the foundation) when someone came and asked for it. They contacted an attorney and drew up transfer papers. The house was lifted and toted away. Turns out this guy has done it a number of times and relocated the homes to an area he owned. I think he is creating rentals. Note that he lives in Alaska where building resources are expensive and handy people have fewer regulations.

Was a win/win for everyone because my brother did not have to pay to remove the house.

Friends grandfather, bought his house back, when the government was taking the area for I 70. He cut the roof off, cut the house apart at all four corners, and transported it to another location and rebuilt it.
    That is gumption I just don't see now days.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Friends grandfather, bought his house back, when the government was taking the area for I 70. He cut the roof off, cut the house apart at all four corners, and transported it to another location and rebuilt it.
    That is gumption I just don't see now days.
    It still exists. I just don't think it's so much of a DIY job anymore. One of DD's best friends is part of a family that runs a house-moving company. They're not at all hurting for business.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I am proud to say that my hubby accomplished a DIY job on moving our house. He just has determination along with the strength and ability to fix or accomplish just about anything, which is something that I really love about him. He just doesn't believe in the word "can't".

The house that we own and live in now is one that was relocated from a property a few miles from our house. The people who owned it had built a bigger brick home and wanted the small woodframe house moved because it was blocking their view. So they offered it for sale for $5000 but of course the real cost would be in moving it. That would probably cost at least $10,000 if we hired a company to do it.

My hubby declared that he intended on moving the house on his own. I told him that he couldn't move a 20x30, 600 sq ft house by himself, but i was wrong and I have the pics to prove it. He jacked up the house, kept it level, got it loaded onto a flatbed trailer and towed it to our property with a tractor. It was quite a sight to see our house coming up the highway and making the turn onto our property, down our long driveway. By the next day he had all of the sewage, water and electricity all hooked up and we moved in.

It is the perfect house for us, 2 bedrooms, a fire place, everything in really great condition, didn't even crack a window or anything in the move. My only complaint is it doesn't have closets which is odd but eventually we will build a large closet/ bathroom/ laundry room. I also have a tiny 200 sq ft house (my playhouse) that I lived in before we married which is also now on this property and I tend to use that as my closet and store my out of season clothing and crafts stuff.
    BayouGirl
    For more of my thoughts on my simple life, check out http://michellerobert.hubpages.com/

I'm sure I have a pic of them moving the big 2 and 1/2 story house from one street over to a new lot........but could only find the pic when they were moving the detached garage. This was around 1955. The view is from our house. My BIL moved a huge old house about 1-2 miles down the road. Seems like everything is disposable today........but relocating houses still seems like a great possibility today.

And look at those trucks!
    Last edited by CathyA; 10-25-13 at 11:34am.

There is a tiny older house just down the road from us that has a sign out front that says the house is free if you move it.

Thread Information