Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How often do people really entertain?

Oh gosh don't tempt me. I visited there a few years back and fell so completely in love. I vowed to come back even if it was in an urn! It was during the fringe festival (which I had never heard of) and I could barely contain myself. I'm sure you don't serve deep fried Snickers at your tea...... no never mind. Any place that has a shop that serves a Snicker any which way but loose is all right with me. Never had one, I'm just happy to know you show no fear in the artery department :0)

We deep fry Mars bars in some of the chippies. I've even been known to make some when guests from overseas ask if it is a real thing. Frankly, mine are inferior, I'm tld, as they don't have the faint taste of battered fish!

Glad to hear the party was a huge success We had a big housewarming two years ago which was an open house...60-80 people, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a few dinners with 1-2 couples during the year. DH and I like cooking and having people over...but I am so glad when they go back home!

I wonder if it's more likely for married people/couples to entertain then it is for us singles - especially us childless ones. I have a large group of single friends - many who are also childless - and they rarely entertain in a more formal traditional way. However they do occasionally have large parties like a Halloween or birthday bash as well as barbques. But not dinner or cocktail or even family type get together. Most often they just meet somewhere for dinner and drinks than entertain at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    I wonder if it's more likely for married people/couples to entertain then it is for us singles - especially us childless ones.
    Before we started dating, DW did a lot of entertaining among her (chosen) extended family and her friends. She also was very active in a singles volunteers club and two book clubs and they frequently were at her home. DD was several hours away in college, so DW was almost childless. Sometimes I suspect the get-togethers were the deadlines DW needed to not stay at work because there was no other good reason to be home at night.

Different story now, though, as we banked five more years into middle age and work for both of us got bonkers. My life is much better now; DW's is hectic but fulfilling. But it's hard for us to endure day after day of that kind of craziness and have the energy to get together with anyone, especially as friends who have to travel across the metro to meet.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Now thatbI think about it you're probably right Steve. That younger, single unencumbered people probably DO entertain more than those who are working and have kids and home duties. Guess I always thing of those 1960's Mad Men style cocktail parties as "entertaining" and just hanging out with friends at home for a barbeque as ....well... just hanging out :-)

Thread Information