Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: January Challenge: Cook at home every day

I'm in, with some exceptions. A new restaurant opened on my block and I want to check it out. Other than that, I'm in for January.

Hmmm ... trying to use up what's in the freezer. Lunch was frozen bean and vegetable soup. (Well, I un-froze it first.) Dinner was walnuts with a dab of olive oil and garlic herb seasoning warmed up briefly in the microwave, and a bowl of corn. Odd, that. (Sorry -- still not logging out and back in as Crystal -- just plain lazy. )

I'm in... for most of January anyways. My big issue has always been take out lunches while working, so I'll prep some stuff for the freezer on Monday so that I can pull something from there each morning for lunch. I'll probably have to leave a couple of spares in the work freezer as well, since it will be pretty easy for me to forget in the morning.

Crystal - sounds like my kind of dinner. I had a lamb chop from the freezer (thawed and cooked) with some crackers and hummus. I'll probably have a raw carrot or two later tonight.

I'm in...made big pot of beef stew yesterday, plenty leftover for today with sandwiches to supplement. I'm in primarily to improve healthy quality of food we eat.

Sunday lunch is always the hardest for me. Thankfully we're having a potluck after church today so I won't be tempted to have the family stop for something to eat on the way home. I need to prepare ahead of time. I think I'll go back to Sunday lunch is always soup or sandwiches.

I do need this challenge for the whole month. We don't have any travel planned this month which means no income coming in either so there is no excuse to eat out. I think I'll set aside $20 for a coffee/pastry date out with my DH but otherwise all meals should be at home.

I'd like to join, too. We're splurging on DH's 40th b-day and having a joint party at a bar/restaurant with 2 other new 40's for a bunch of friends and family, so we need to cut out eating out this month.

My most difficult challenge is Saturdays. I teach in a kids' program that my kids attend that day, so we're in a rush in the morning, they have food to buy there for lunch and, come dinnertime, I'm exhausted, so it's a danger zone for eating out all day. Organization and my crockpot should take care of that, though, so I just have to buck up and do it.

One thing that's helped lately is buying some prepared frozen foods to base a meal around - still cheaper than eating out & it gives me a break from cooking.

January 2 homecooked foods: leftover homemade soups, homemade biscuits, apples.

I will probably use a Cracker Barrel gift cert I got for Christmas at some point this month. I don't think that's the same as going out and paying for it...do you??

Jan 1 Oatmeal BF
    Pizza Rustica, Soup L
    Clean out the fridge D

Jan 2 Yogurt, cereal B
    Sandwiches, leftover spinach artichoke dip, carrots, apples L
    Smoked turkey, asparagus, baked potatoes D

We had to run some errands today and everybody was groaning at 11:30, "we're so hungry..we can't wait to get home....." by 11:45 we were home assembling our sandwiches....I'm happy to say they all survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastelmutti View Post
    I'd like to join, too. We're splurging on DH's 40th b-day and having a joint party at a bar/restaurant with 2 other new 40's for a bunch of friends and family, so we need to cut out eating out this month.

My most difficult challenge is Saturdays. I teach in a kids' program that my kids attend that day, so we're in a rush in the morning, they have food to buy there for lunch and, come dinnertime, I'm exhausted, so it's a danger zone for eating out all day. Organization and my crockpot should take care of that, though, so I just have to buck up and do it.

One thing that's helped lately is buying some prepared frozen foods to base a meal around - still cheaper than eating out & it gives me a break from cooking.
    It was such a ah-hah moment for me when I realized this. I had always stuggled with buying anything prepared, always assumed I could do it cheaper and healthier from scratch...which of course you can but than I finally got realistic when I realized we were just eating out on these nights of desperation. Even our favorite frozen food Omaha Steak veal patties cost me $10.00 for a meal for my family of four. Add some sauce, cheese. spaghetti and a green salad and I have a scrumptious meal for a fraction of the cost of eating out.

1/1: coffee with milk and protein powder. I'm thinking this is sort of in the "prepared foods" category since protein powder is questionable as far as being home-made, but it did come from TJs, not a restaurant. And I have tons of it. So I'm saying it's ok. Bunch of raw carrots and handful of almonds with tomato juice. Hunk of cheese and a bunch of crackers. And then ... someone gave me a bottle of melon liqueur, so I had warm milk with melon liqueur in it for dessert, which isn't anywhere near as awful as it sounds. Well really ... it probably was. Lol. Questionable taste, sweet as syrup and neon green ... hard to imagine this is health food. But it was, at least, a free dessert. Monday I start eating real meals again.

Thread Information