Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: January Challenge: Cook at home every day

TMC: Me, too. We get the occasional frozen pizza (Home Run Inn is actually quite good), Trader Joe's frozen appetizer, or something like that. A staple is also a box of spaghetti & jar of sauce, which is what we had for dinner yesterday. I am really into cooking from scratch when I have down time, but I'm a freelancer, and when I have a project or ten going on, I just can't do it all.

Went to the store today to stock up on supplies to make bento lunches for DH, DD1 and me this week. We plan to have rice as a the base with a couple of veggie side dishes and tofu or eggs for protein. I also got some meat and tofu for dinner. Homemade yogurt is in fridge for breakfasts.

I eat at home about 99% of the time and my only eating out this month will be at Torchy's for their amazing new Revolution taco....only offered during January!

http://ilketomakethings.blogspot.com

So far, two days down...29 more to go! Lunch was a salad of leftover veggies, greens and some pop in the oven chicken bites. Not exactly natural or completely homemade, but pretty healthy and very easy. Dinner was also based around 'easy' - I put some chicken breasts with white bbq sauce in the crock pot this morning, and let that cook all day. I made some mac and cheese and steamed a bit of broccoli. It made enough to have for lunch tomorrow.

So far so good. I even avoided getting coffee at work. Yesterday we had leftover bean soup for dinner. Dad took the kids out. Tonight is potato, spinach and cheese fritatta and tomorrow is stir fried chicken with cauliflower and snow peas. Meals for the rest of the week are clam chowder, salad and breadsticks, creamy spinach and gnocchi soup with no knead bread, chili and cornbread, oat pancakes with fruit topping and black bean nachos.

Fritatta and black bean nachos are two of my "I don't really feel like cooking" meals. I worked a long shift today so I wanted something I could toss together in 5 minutes or less.

Doing well so far - I resisted the urge to get takeout on the way home from the grocery store, since I had lots of tasty food that I had just bought. Went home and made a salmon and cream cheese sandwich on toasted multigrain bread.

Dinner tonight is a whole mess of roasted veggies that have been sitting in the fridge for too long. I'll freeze leftovers to add to stew or soups later on. I'm also planning on making quesadillas to toss in the freezer for work lunches.

I am going to jump in to, though it's very rare for us to eat out. I do have 2 coupons for free doughnuts that I am planning on getting the kids and maybe a cup of coffee for Saturday soccer games with a gc but that's it.

Sunday for dinner we cleaned out the fridge, normally a Thursday night thing but with the way the holidays went we didn't have enough till last night. Tonight is going to be chicken burgers or chicken burritos, not sure yet. I wish we could do an eat out of the pantry challenge but at this point it would be noodles, salsa and peanut butter for oh maybe 5 meals. I keep a close eye on what I have, so we go thru a decent turn over.

For the remainder of the week we will be having
    Chicken burgers or chicken burritos (whichever doesn't happen tonight)
    Spaghetti
    Garlic parm chicken
    Asian meatloaf (only main difference is Panko and soy sauce and no ketchup)
    Potato and bacon soup
    Leftovers

I normally make homemade bread every night or every other night so we will have that to along with salad and or a veggie.

Breakfasts are toast, bagels, oatmeal, or cereal
    Lunches are leftovers, sandwhiches, soup, etc..

Good luck to all! We are hoping to take a trip next month so all extra funds are helpful.

Tracy

Jumping in here... Saturday made big pot of beef stew, took some to my kids,
    DDIL is pregnant and sick with a bad cold, slight fever. Yesterday made homemade chicken noodle soup, took some to the kids again. Today, alas, my Christmas break is over and I'm back to work. Debating on what to make for dinner...

DD and some of her twenty something friends took me to the movies last night, and we even got movie snacks with coupons my daughter printed from the Internet. That's my girl!!!

so far so good. I actually haven't left the house since the year began, so definitely no "eating out" for me yet.

I narrowly avoided getting a snack out today. We went to the library and I packed lunch for the kids, but at the moment I felt fine myself so I didn't pack anything for me. By the time we reached the library I was very hungry, but I did manage to wait until we got home to eat.

Thread Information