Thread: How do I turn a Word doc into an embroidery pattern?

How do I turn a Word doc into an embroidery pattern?

After a LONG (read: since adolescence) hiatus from embroidery, I want to get back into it again. I found a quote that I would like to embroider onto a piece of cloth, to make it into a framed picture. I did up a Word document using the font, color, and spacing I want to use for the piece, but now I'm stumped. How do I get the thing transferred onto a piece of cloth so I know where to embroider? I don't want to use cross-stitch, but other stitches than will allow me to create a typeset/font look, like in newsprint.

Any suggestions? I've been so far gone from embroidery that I only have dim memories of doing pieces from pre-printed kits, which provided a pre-stencilled canvas, the right colors of embroidery floss, and an instruction sheet, so I've never "free-styled" before!

Thanks in advance, everybody!

Depending on what kind of fabric you're wanting to transfer to, there are different techniques. Usually I'm using something thin enough that I can just use a window to trace the pattern, or a lightbox I borrow from work. Note, if you use a transfer paper (iron-on), you will have to make sure your pattern is a mirror image---might require a mirror-image photocopy job. Here is a good summary of 5 methods of transferring:
    http://embroidery.about.com/od/Basic-Embroidery-Techniques/a/Five-Methods-For-Transferring-An-Embroidery-Pattern.htm
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Wow, thanks KayLR! Very helpful...I knew the people here would have a great answer! Thanks again!

Thread Information