Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do elderly cats yowl and cry a lot?

Do elderly cats yowl and cry a lot?

My cat is about 16. This last year she has been yowling a lot. Recently she is crying a lot. Almost screaming. Not a yowl she has ever made before. There doesn't always seem to be a reason for it. She gets food, water, (which seems to be challenging for her to drink for some reason) and goes outside when she wants a little air. Mostly she lives inside and has a box to go in and a warm place to sleep. Her activity level is the same and she seems to hear and see and "go" fine. I've heard old cats sometimes vocalize strangely? Anyone know anything about that?

Our 15 year old cat suddenly started vocalizing last year. I've heard this is common. She's always been rather nervous, anyway, but she's not been a talker. She cries for seemingly no reason, howls.

A little googling reveals cats can have dementia.

Once you make sure they are not in pain, some cry louder because they are deaf or going deaf. We had a really old 19 year old cat that would yowl in the bathroom. When he noticed us, he would stop and look at us. We figured it was the only place he could hear it.

My older cat started yowling when she developed a hyperthyroid problem. Many older cats have this, and yowling can be one of the symptoms.

There are a couple of medical conditions that can cause the yowling, so I'd start with a trip to the vet's.

Thyroid issues I believe.

Thyroid, eh? One thing about animals is I've rarely been a vet person. I'm very old school about pets. The background I come from is that pets are a responsibility but not a necessity. That's why when this one passes, it will be my last pet. Should she go to the vet because it's a necessity, or is it ok not to?

Well just like a human with thyroid issues, the symptoms might be uncomfortable. If it's just a matter of daily thyroid medication, that shouldn't be too much of a burden. If the vet does like ours did though, and starts recommending advanced treatments and surgery etc, that would be your call. We chose not to go that route - no regrets - the cat eventually died - after many good years and a few not so good ones.

If she's suddenly screaming and having trouble drinking, there's a better than average chance she may be in pain. If a trip to the vet will help you determine how to alleviate her suffering -- either through some sort of treatment or simply by putting her out of her misery if something is found and treatment's not something you want to do -- I'd suggest it may be worth it. Even just taking her to the clinic at your local animal shelter, which is often less expensive.

Pets aren't a necessity. But while you have them, it's my personal view you have accepted that they rely on you as their caregiver, with your primary responsibility being to ensure they are not suffering. She can't drive herself. So, for whatever that's worth.

Untreated thyroid disease will kill your cat. It is usually hyperthyroid which will destroy the heart and kidneys if not addressed. Diagnosed with blood test and treated with daily medication. Not a comfortable way to die. A vet trip IS a necessity.

Thread Information