Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: November fitness

Sun 11/3 - 45 min hike

I am also going to commit to this thread for this month. I just got "DDP Yoga" DVD's in the mail, and did the first session today. This week I'm supposed to do only three sessions, which is GREAT. Slow and steady wins the race! My goal is to just stick to the month's program and work through the whole thing as DDP ("Diamond" Dallas Page) recommends. No impact yoga and calesthenics, but it got my heart rate up fast and stretched me out just great, even after the first run-through!

I'm in. Walking 10 hours per week, at least a little yoga every day.
    I'm really inspired to walk as I'm having foot surgery in December and will be stuck in bed for a month, then on a knee scooter...
    anyhow, getting my hiking in now!

Walked 1/2 hour this morning, and did pranayama (yogic breathing).

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    then on a knee scooter...
    Those things are so amazing. They add a "cool" factor to recovery. Hope you have a speedy and pain-free one.

I have really slacked recently - so much that I put on a pair of my skinny pants, that used to fit just right, and I have a muffin-top. You don't know how un-sexy I feel today! Good news is I had already realized the downward spiral and worked out four days this week. One hour of hiking at a local park, dancing, another regular walk and a weight training session... now, just to keep active going forward!

Good work y"all, I am always interested to see what other people do to keep fit. It gives me some ideas and a feeling of admiration for all those who keep at it! I am very proud that I MADE myself get in my steps last night and today. I had resigned myself at 7 klast night that I just wasn't going to the the 6000 as I only had 4000. I gave myself a wee talk and while watching Bones on demand did it! Then today I had done lots of hard work around the house, but not nearly enough steps. It's a glorious day so rather than just collapsing, I took a walk in the new cemetery on the grass. It was great and I now have enough steps that I can finish watching all the things I wanted to watch!! Rewards are important. Keep on everyone- baby steps and lots of encouragement.

Nothing this week. Too busy after work and then it gets dark. Tomorrow will be cold but I don't think it will rain.

I lost another pound, so I'm down to 171 this morning. This means I am only 6 pounds away from my ultimate goal of 165. I'm not really trying to lose weight now, just continuing to eat healthfully. It appears I have picked up a number of good eating habits during my weight loss journey, as portion size and food choices have become almost automatic. A few of the good food choices have fallen by the wayside (not eating as much fruit as I was at the beginning, for example, though still more than recommended), but other good choices have filled the gap. Still avoiding most preprocessed foods except for the occasional very small treat. Keeps me from feeling like I have to eat this way. This bodes well for my future efforts to keep the pounds off.

I have a feeling this isn't going to stop at 165, though.

I am getting a lot of good exercise on the farm. Most of what I am doing there is very physical, requiring a lot of walking and lifting. Reminds me of this Internet meme...

I'm not working nearly to that extent (although I did haul hay as a kid), but I like the idea of it. Makes me feel better about not making it to the Y much lately.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Storyteller - that is a very timely meme for me as well.... I was in the gym, and on purpose evesdropping on the trainer and her client (free advice, right?). The trainer asked how bicep curls were going to help the client in her everyday life - but a whole body workout with these *new* compound moves was the cutting edge recommendation. I checked out some of the stuff they were doing, and it was very simplistic and doable for anyone. BTW, her client was your typical little old lady.... her goal was to be able to get up and down off the floor. Based on the convo, she was making great progress. Fitness trends change so fast!

Tuesday was a rest day, but Wednesday I got back to the Couch to 5K plan. I joined in on week 3 since I've done it before - but even that week was hard... It will come back, though. Thursday was weight training. Friday I plan to run again.

De-motivator: got on the scale this morning and I am up 1.5 lbs.... I consider it due to the weight training. I think our muscles "swell up" when we first get back into a routine, and they tend to hold on to water for a short time....do you guys experience this too?
    Last edited by lmerullo; 11-8-13 at 8:31am.

I'd love to join in on this to help motivate myself as well and see what everyone else out there is doing! I've always been pretty active but lately I've felt like I need to switch it up a bit. I like to exercise to maintain a healthy body, and do not really need to focus on the weight loss aspect of it. I continue to run as often as I can (usually about 2 or 3 miles) and some body weight exercise...especially pushups. The colder it gets the more difficult it is for me to push myself to run outside. Debating if I should join a gym again or just stick with doing some at home exercise plans!

Half way through the month YIKES! I have been able to do my steps 14 of the days. With the darkness earlier and the chilliness of November I am quite pleased that many of the steps were done outside in spite of the weather. I still have needed to supplement by walking around the house or in front of the tv, but I'm proud of myself. I even gave away a pair of jeans that were FALLING DOWN! Never in my life have any pants fallen down. Seeing progress is great for this 64 almost 65 year old.

Thread Information