Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: November Frugals!!!

November Frugals!!!

I will start this month because I really need to save some money!!!

Nov 01 & Nov02

--spread sheets up to date and ready for new month...year to date balances are really good in
    some categories and not so good in others
    I have enough in savings for some projects I have to face but, would feel better not digging into that.

--Really not wasting much food and it does show on the grocery bill, but of course I still have way too
    much stockpiled to need to keep eating that down.
    --went to two church brazers today but, only parked once and walked to the second one, good exercise for free.
    Only bought a wooden bee house for the backyard, made for recycled wood and the money was going to a good cause.
    Didn't spend anything else. But, saw a lovely idea for hats and mitts made from old sweaters lined with fleece.
    They were selling these mitts for $20.00 a pair. I am thinking a great idea for the youngest on my Christmas list.
    --Have picked two older outfits to wear around the house, wear then out then start on others, reminds me that I also,
    have too many clothes, and as I have been losing a few pounds I need to use up what I have and not buy till I need lower sizes.
    --watched t.v. and read while drinking really nice hot tea for entertainment last night.
    --will be trying to rethink every penny spent (even if we don;t use those anymore ......lol)
    --Again I am Challenging myself to the 100 item decluttered this month on the theory that a decluttered house
    is one that you can find what you need and not rebuy.

Thanks for starting the thread danna, and sounds like you are off to a great start!

I made my own furniture polish and "non-petroleum jelly" for my poor ol' nose . . . my other body care thread. That was all from supplies that were already on hand. Also dug around and looked for our Murphy's Oil Soap instead of believing my DH that we had none. Score.

Meal planning saved us a bunch of unnecessary trips to the store last week and was so much less stressful. I am going to start a book with the meal plan on one side of the page and the freezer inventory on the other side. That way we can look back through the meals we've used in the past. I know some were winners but we've forgotten about them.

Accumulating baby goods is going frugally so far, have received a few gifts, have some maternity clothes from a friend but I believe they will be too small for me (should still try them on to be sure), we got a pack n play in good shape at a garage sale, someone has offered me a free stroller but it is not in hand yet, my close girlfriend is going to sell us some nice items and give us some others . . . so that's coming together. I am trying hard not to get too much stuff because I know it will come, and also that the new baby won't need too much and I want to see how our daily living actually pans out. For example, will we really walk upstairs to change diapers? Doubtful. So no changing table. But maybe it will turn out that we do, and we can get one later. So that's that.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

I cashed in a jar full of change and ended up with $45 for my trip to NOLA next week. I didn't think I had that much! Pleasant surprise.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Congrats Fidgiegirl!
    Grandchild was born this week, but with two older siblings and two older cousins close by he needs nothing. Their next door neighbor bought over a bag of older boy clothes so I went through them with stain remover and had to do some minor repairs, but lotS of usable clothes for the oldest. They also have so many toys! So I showed up with lots of healthy food, cleaned the house top to bottom while mom was in the hospital, and am taking the other ones on some day trips while mom gets some rest. She appreciatedcoming home to all clean beds, bathroom and even clean kids. Can't think of a better present than that.

That would be an awesome present!!
    Kelli

fidgiegirl I have not been on much lately I have missed your wonderful news!

Congratulations!!

flowerseverywhere that is truly a great gift any new Mom would be thrilled to get!!
    And, Congratulations to you too!

Thanks everyone!
    Kelli

Frugals so far:

- We're eating out of the freezer and pantry this week. So I picked up the few items we needed at the supermarket down the street. Despite getting a few unlisted items on good sales, I still walked away with a very low bill and it was a no-drive day to boot.
    - Courtesy of the 100-item October declutter, I found enough moisturizing creams (for both DW and me) to line a small drugstore shelf. We will not be buying any more moisturizers for the next several months!
    - (I don't think I mentioned this one earlier) A magazine I subscribe to "cleverly" decided to make its subscriptions automatic-renewal. The magazine keeps coming and they send you a bill. When I discovered that, I called them and opted out. First, I'd rather read magazines electronically than sacrifice trees (this is not a magazine to archive). Second, I can borrow that title from the library (or even read it there) if I want to. Third, I think it's sneaky to just keep sending it; I wonder how many people will be cowed into paying the bill because they don't really know when the subscription is over.
    - Local mechanic (literally; he's two blocks away; we could push the car there if we needed to) did the 30,000 mile service on DW's car and chose not to charge us for swapping the summer tires for winter tires. I wasn't quite so lucky at my last visit (different mechanic). So that's probably about $20 saved.
    - Got a free sample of coffee in the mail last week and made it this morning. We don't like it as much as our usual (ALDI Donut Store blend) but it wasn’t bad and the price was absolutely right. lol
    - Found a Web "service" that DW got roped into (she thought she clicked all the right boxes but those folks are pretty sneaky). The service charges $22 and change a month. I paid last month's without knowing it was more "service" than she thought she was getting. I won't be paying this month, if I can help it. DW cancelled the service. I hate how sneaky those companies are...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Kelli, I think you are being very prudent in how you are planning for baby. When are you due? I am so excited for you! It's not totally public yet (as in everyone but my mom knows) but we are expecting another little girl in March, Veronica Rose.

The kids were put playing the other day and brought home some squash. One of our neighbours, I think one of the families that has their house in the city here and a farm in the country, (kind of a strange, but awesome trend in my area) had a table in front of their house loaded with squash and a sign that said "free" on it, so they picked me up a couple. I'm going to make it later this week with pork chops and cornbread stuffing.

Yesterday I brought a meal to a friend who is recovering from surgery. I made a big batch of 75 Swedish meatballs. I gave her about 15 of them with some egg noodles and gravy and a salad and froze the rest for easy weeknight meals. Next week our neighbourhood is providing a meal for a homeless shelter for teens. I'm scheduled to provide the vegetable. I didn't just want to bring frozen veggies, even though they would be cheap, so I'm thinking I'm going to make a salad. I can get a ton of lettuce at Costco for $4 and make my own dressing. I'll probably add some chopped apples and walnuts too, which I already have.

I downloaded a free "budget envelope" app to track my spending. So far I've been really good about adding my expenses and it's really helping me stay accountable.

I signed up for Amazon Prime and Amazon mom and I've decided to try out their subscription program. I get a $25 credit on diapers for signing up and I put my diapers, wipes, paper products, vitamins and some cleaning supplies that are used regularly on subscription. I get free delivery and 20% off the cost of the products, which was competitive to begin with. It shouldn't take long to make up the cost of the Amazon Prime subscription and it's one more thing I don't have to go to the store and get.

We are starting to make our Christmas gifts. The kids decided it would be a fun homeschool project and I am planning far enough in advance that I can take things bit by bit and get discounts. This week I bought a soap making kit at Michaels using a 40% off coupon. I saved $8. Next week we will make candles, also with a 40% off coupon, and the next week we are going to make coiled fabric baskets using scrap fabric and piping, which I will get using yet another 40% off coupon from JoAnn. In December my friend Rose is going to teach the girls how to make a doll quilt (which they will make for each other) and I am going to make it simple for everyone by getting a bundle of precut fabric with another coupon. This is all coming out of my education budget (I have all of the books I need for the year) so the money is doing double duty. Education and gifts all in one. Can't go wrong with that!

I bought some reusable baby food pouches. I have found myself sometimes avoiding making things like soup, smoothies or oatmeal, that are both very inexpensive and healthy, because of the mess factor with Charlotte. For $10 I got 6 reusable pouches that I can give to Charlotte. I tried it this morning with oatmeal and it was mess-free.

We looked on the History Center website last night and it looks like they are doing their Black Friday event again. Last year Zach and the big kids camped out and got a free Historical Society membership. We were hoping they would do it again so we could make it a tradition. I'm so happy they are! We got a lot of great use out of that last year.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Thread Information