Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had a week ...

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    If you were given a week where you could do anything you wanted in order to refresh your enthusiasm for life, a week in which your only responsibility was to take care of yourself and come back better equipped to go forward, a week in which the bills paid themselves and the job magically suspended itself and the people and animals and plants who depend on you were all somehow safe and sound without you, what would you do? You can spend as much or as little as you want, but you can't bring anything back except what you carry in your head and your heart.
    Other than having to care for the dog I'd say this has pretty much been my life for the past 14 years ;-). But if I had to pick one thing it would be to spend a week walking, hiking and running on a beautiful trail during fall foliage season in New England. Sleep in a few quaint bed and breakfasts enroute each evening with a roaring fire and a hot toddy.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I would stay at the Roadrunner Hostel in Tucson and have interesting conversations with the travelers who pass through. I would also do a one week herbal cleanse while there and visit a few places in Tucson I have been wanting to visit for some time. Rob

I would either take a solo backpacking trip or take a trip to my yoga ashram.

I'm also tempted to say that a week alone at home would be awesome for getting a lot of projects finished and done - kitchen floor, painting, fixing the deck. But I kind of like the idea of throwing out my TO DO list and doing something just for me.

I don't have a clue. The last time I was ON a vacation, was in the early 80's when I was a kid. The last time I took a vacation was the week I bought my house (and all the starter projects), very early 90's. I tried to take a vacation a couple years back, after all the holiday rush stuff, and the kids that work for us, went out on the company Christmas party trip (I've never gone to these things) which was a ski trip. When they got back, I was supposed to be off, and half the crew came back on crutches, so I didn't go and my hours went up.
    No idea how to recharge to get back up, just always plowed through.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I don't have a clue. The last time I was ON a vacation, was in the early 80's when I was a kid. The last time I took a vacation was the week I bought my house (and all the starter projects), very early 90's. I tried to take a vacation a couple years back, after all the holiday rush stuff, and the kids that work for us, went out on the company Christmas party trip (I've never gone to these things) which was a ski trip. When they got back, I was supposed to be off, and half the crew came back on crutches, so I didn't go and my hours went up.
    No idea how to recharge to get back up, just always plowed through.
    You don't really need to go anywhere to take time off. Just chill at home and in your own area and put things (chores, distractions, life!) on hold. It's very liberating. I have structured my life to have as few chores and stuff I HAVE to do as possible, leaving more freedom to focus on doing things I enjoy. I can do that at home and in my own 'hood just as easily as I can in some lovely place. Much cheaper too :-)!

Hmmmm. I thought the answer would be easier to pinpoint. The fantasy answers are always along the lines of debating existence with the Dali Lama or getting a week long guitar lesson from Eddie Van Halen so I guess my real world of choices wouldn't be so far off. Maybe Austin in spring for SXSW to hear a bunch of good music, stoke up on some tequila and fajitas, maybe get in a few jam sessions really late at night in a garage somewhere. Then get up and head over to the UT philosophy and poli-si departments and get into a few out and out, bang the fists on the tables arguments with professors and sophomores. And somewhere in the week I'd have to go skydiving at least once just to get the blood pumping. I've never been recharged by a relaxing or meditative vacation. I need to blow out some cob webs to feel alive again.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I would visit with my 90 year-old aunt who is my Dad's last living sibling. Then I'd probably spend the balance of the week browsing in the library and at Powell's. Doing some sewing and writing.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I've never been recharged by a relaxing or meditative vacation. I need to blow out some cob webs to feel alive again.
    This is me too. Can't relax until the body says "ENOUGH ALREADY!!! PLEASE STOP FOR GAWDS SAKE!!!" Then it's time for the tequila and fajitas and a longgggg nap :-).

A very good question. I've enjoyed writing retreats like this one, and the effects were long-lasting after I got back: http://peerspirit.com/writing-workshop-dates.html

A volunteer vacation somewhere spiritual, where I could do some hard, helpful, lasting work - also sounds nice.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I would visit with my 90 year-old aunt who is my Dad's last living sibling. Then I'd probably spend the balance of the week browsing in the library and at Powell's. Doing some sewing and writing.
    I remember spending hours in Powell's completely oblivious to the passage of time and amazed when I finally look up and realized how much time had passed. Enjoy Powell's for me, this is one place I miss keenly in Portland, OR. Rob

Thread Information