Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far out do you calculate ROI?

Quote Originally Posted by reader99 View Post
    Reviews I've read on Amazon of CFL bulbs indicate that their vaunted long life is often not true. Reviews indicated they last longest in plain fixtures where they will be on for a long time. They don't seem to last well where there is vibration, like a garage door or ceiling fan and they don't do well in recessed fixtures or things on a dimmer, even if you don't use the dimmer feature.
    You meant LED bulbs?

Actually, I believe those locations don't work for either type of bulb, which is a huge limiting factor to many. Of the twelve lamps in our house that still have incandescent bulbs, nine of them have the bulbs fully- or mostly-enclosed and four of them are "upside down" (some are both). Having to replace a fixture as well as a bulb (or two or eight) doesn’t strike me as a reasonable approach. Especially when some of these lamps are used only rarely (and wouldn't be used significantly more if they were outfitted with LEDs). Maybe I need to start stockpiling incandescent bulbs for the most finicky fixtures.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I did mean CFL, I didn't look to see if the same things apply to LED.

Thread Information