Thread: Favorite old/historical stock small house types?

Favorite old/historical stock small house types?

I was in New Orleans last weekend and went through some of the older neighborhoods. The shotgun houses were dinky and caught my attention.

I also like the Chicago bungalow, row houses, and "terraced" houses (the English row house) as seen in "Call the Midwife." Nice and compact.

Southern "dog trot" houses, prairie 4-square farm houses with wide, covered front porches, Craftsman style Sears kit homes from the early 1900s

rodeosweetheart
    Chicago bungalows, Old Town style--would have loved to have bought one when I got divorced, but did not want to take my son out of his suburban highschool where he was thriving.

ah, Tradd, just last night I was perusing the Realtor.com listings of adorable shotgun houses in 70115 NOLA. I am faint with love for them.

But then there are the tiny vernacular Victorians from around here including my own tiny 550 sq ft hobby house that are equally adorable, and cheaper, than NOLA:

http://s205.photobucket.com/user/kpr...tml?sort=3&o=2

My vacation this year was two days in Hermann, MO to look at German four square houses of the 1840- 1880's. They call to me, what can I say.

IL, could you live in your Victorian cottage? Do you have interior pics? It's very cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    IL, could you live in your Victorian cottage? Do you have interior pics? It's very cute!
    alas, it is not habitable. There is no working plumbing or gas. It is a wreck. We keep it as a gardening site.

Well, can;t go wrong with an awesome gardening site.

I love beach cottages of various sorts as well. They're usually quite lovely. I like norwegian and swedish ones a lot. I like a lot of their architecture, really, including the houses with sod roofs (or those that are half underground with sod roofs). They're very cool, too.

Thread Information