Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me eat more brassicas!

The temperature is s'posed to drop tonight 30 degrees, our first "arctic blast", so am planning a minestrone chock full of cabbage, celery, carrots, onions and spinach. One of our favorites.

Here is DH's favorite Brussels sprouts recipe.

Garlic Brussels Sprouts

1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
    3-4 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tbs. butter, divided
    2 tsp. olive oil
    1/2 c. chicken broth
    salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil and 1 tbs. butter and sauté garlic 1-2 minutes. Add sprouts and toss to coat. Add broth, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat 12-14 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and toss w/remaining 2 tbs. butter.

Hi pug,

My husband made this recipe with Brussels sprouts, apples, onions and toasted pecans this weekend and it was fantastic!
    Here is the recipe:

http://www.texannewyorker.com/2012/1...andied-pecans/

Cauliflower roasted. Yummm! Also, used in curry.

Brussels sprouts: halved the long way, sautéed in a heavy oven ready skillet in olive oil & garlic, flat side down. When they brown & start to pop over, put them a 450 degree oven, in none skillet, and blast them for 5 mins till soft & seared. Amazing.

Broccoli: cut up into small spears, and toss into pasta just as it's done cooking. Simmer for a few minutes, then toss with sauce.

Cabbage: purple cabbage shredded and added to stir fry. Organic is much sweeter than conventional.

Roasted, roasted, roasted -- can't get enough of roasted cauliflower/broccoli/brussel sprouts. I can't wait to get back to the US for Christmas because brussel sprouts here are ridiculously expensive I can't justify buying them regularly.

Cauliflower is awesome with zataar seasoning (a middle east spice mix) -- I like red zataar best, but green is pretty good, too.

We also make it regularly with just olive oil, salt, and some lemon pepper. The lemon pepper gives it a nice tang.

Make a huge batch of either cauliflower or broccoli and use the leftovers in soups or fritattas.

Yum! I think I'll make some this weekend...
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

I think I'm going to have to try every single one of these suggestions. Research, y'know

I have a red cabbage slaw recipe that I adore, but I am trying to cut down on dairy. The full recipe is this:

1/4 large head red cabbage, cored and shredded
    1 to 2 ounces gorgonzola or other blue cheese, crumbled
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts
    1/3 cup golden raisins
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil + 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, whisked together
    Salt and black pepper

So good it's amazing.....seriously, if you like red cabbage, try it. But what could I substitute for the blue cheese? Something creamy like that....avocado maybe?

Sauerkraut, kimchee, fermented brassicas in general.

puglogic, I would either go with a tofu-based cream cheese for the fat/mouthfeel and some lemon juice to provide the tang, or just dispense with the cheese and use the lemon juice. You're already getting some extra texture from the nuts and raisins.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I often use cabbage - raw, chopped and then just lightly warmed - as an extender in a dish of small pasta or rice, it mixes in there and adds some healthy low-cal bulk to almost any "over-rice" dish. Example, we had chili over rice last night, but mine was more of a cabbage chili salad with a quarter cup of rice tossed in. Because I love rice, Jane, that's why. ;-)

I will throw cauliflower in the oven in a casserole with a bit of water and steam/roast it if I have the oven on anyway, then drain it and mash it with cream, butter, cheese and any other decadent thing I can think of.

clean and slice Brussels. Fry off some lardons in a saucepan, then cook the sliced sprouts in the fat. Add some toasted, flaked almonds.

This is a staple for Christmas dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    ... Because I love rice, Jane, that's why. ;-)
    I have rice noodles occasionally, but I'm pretty much off wheat. Just for the record.

Thread Information