Thread: Can I brag on my daughter?

Can I brag on my daughter?

I always seem to write posts when I'm feeling frustrated, and it often looks like things are much darker than they are.

I'd like to say how wonderful my daughter is. I've never really pushed her academically beyond just normal expectations that she do her best. She has kept a 4.0 all the way through on her own motivation. She's now in eighth grade. She has organized community service events with her Girl Scout troop. She's on the swim team. She joined track and field last year and this year ran cross country. She is in the A.P. History club at her charter school in eighth grade and is thinking about taking the A.P. History test this spring even though she'll still have to take A.P. History as a class in high school for the test results to count. (The teacher running the club says that she's holding her own against the juniors and seniors in the club). She said that she doesn't mind going through the class again because she loves history. She loves her German class and will be going on an exchange student trip to Tubingen, Germany this May.

She's pretty much done all this on her own. Her brother has always been a handful. I usually end up writing about my struggles with him. My daughter has pretty much always gone on her own way. I thought I would post a post about how happy and proud I am of her.

You done good, Paul! I don't think you need to worry about DD.

Oh, and I loved visiting Tübingen! Great choice.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Good job Paul! And thanks for sharing. Balancing attention between kids is hard, especially when they are very different.

Well done, Paul!!! And well done, Paul's daughter!!!
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Of course you can brag! It's nice to hear the good news about kids. She sounds like an awesome kid.

Paul, I'd encourage her to check out the United World Colleges. Great opportunity and she sounds like she'd be a good fit. US student selected get full scholarships from the Davis Foundation, which also gives generous funding to those who are admitted to many highly selective US liberal arts colleges. They will be opening a college in Germany next year, but there are also schools all over the world -- I went to the one in Wales and it totally changed my life. You are probably not far from the US college in Montezuma (don't know NM geography well) and a trip there to check it out might be worthwhile.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Quote Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
    Paul, I'd encourage her to check out the United World Colleges. Great opportunity and she sounds like she'd be a good fit. US student selected get full scholarships from the Davis Foundation, which also gives generous funding to those who are admitted to many highly selective US liberal arts colleges. They will be opening a college in Germany next year, but there are also schools all over the world -- I went to the one in Wales and it totally changed my life. You are probably not far from the US college in Montezuma (don't know NM geography well) and a trip there to check it out might be worthwhile.
    He is fairly close, I think it is north of him.

I remember back decades ago I lived in NM and Charles, Prince of Wales visited the United World College campus there, it was one of his charities.
    At the time it was a big deal to me because I'd never been in the same state as him, having lived in podunk places.

What a girl! Brag away!

She's lucky her father appreciates her accomplishments. All kids should be so lucky--but always only so long as they're not preferred over their mothers.
    Last edited by larknm; 12-13-13 at 4:42pm.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

How wonderful! Brag away!

Thread Information