Thread: Where to buy a big piece of memory foam?

Where to buy a big piece of memory foam?

I'd like to make an orthopedic dog bed for my aging german shepherd. He's been sleeping on our spare bed, an air mattress, and sleeping anywhere else (even a nice soft regular dog bed) just causes him pain.

I was thinking I'd try making him a bed with a big thick piece of memory foam....but I have no idea where to purchase that stuff.

Any thoughts on the kind of store that might sell it?

Walmart online (I would expect it would tell you stores as well), medical supply houses (how big? Some as small as wheelchair seats), larger sizes like beds can be found on deal of the day type of sites, etc.

Might also check CL in things like Estate sales. (although any bedding type of stuff a lot of people are afraid of chance of bed bugs)

Do a search for "memory foam baby mattresses."

Look for mattress toppers and you could find one made from memory foam (thick enough like 3 inches is a pretty thick piece of material). Memory foam, ugh, but if it works for the dog.
    Trees don't grow on money

JoAnn fabrics (or whatever it's called) also Hancock Fabrics. Really any store that supplies a lot of upholstery material has foam in big sheets in several different thicknesses. I bought some to redo cushions on a sofa I redid.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thanks, all. I'll follow up on all of these.

And I know, ANM, I wouldn't let that stuff near me, but he needs something that really gives. He wakes up so sore he can barely get up, and it hurts him so much to lie on the regular beds that he just paces half the night.

Reading my own post, I'm wondering what it would be like to get like a kid's air mattress and wrap it in a nice thick comforter (we can't leave our air bed in the middle of the living room forever....)

Anyway, thanks for these suggestions to get me going.

Thread Information