Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: We don't do Xmas...

Family fights, different beliefs/views, income levels, etc, etc, etc. Not a Christmas fan either. One thing that you might consider doing this year, is some sort of shirt, with a holiday theme that says, "do you have the reciept?"
    We need to come up with some anti Christmas song, "Return this to here, take this back there, get it away, I don't want it anyway" (song to the tune Carol of the Bells)

Didnt this website have a certificate that could be used sent for this reason? Something about not buying for Xmas?

We have gotten it down to no presents between the two of us pretty much and just some fun things for his mother. Then I make some minimal things for friends. This year I have mason jars and labels for granola. I also make some killer fabric wallets. Most, except for the granola, are made and wrapped. Now all I need to do is remember where I put them.

I ask for "clutterless" gifts. ie... things that are eaten or an experience. I don't need any more stuff!

I keep Christmas very simple and inexpensive. The decorations I use I can put up and/or take down in an hour. I put lights on the two conifers that flank my door. I planted them when I moved in so that I would have live Christmas trees. (I don't buy an inside tree or decorate a tree.) I just use icicle lights for the front of the house. (My house is only 567 square feet, so that's two strands.) I don't do the sides or rear of the house. It looks really pretty, but not overdone. Well, I think it does.

I give gifts to my parents and mail lady. If I have a teacher, I give them a gift, too. I send cards to a few close friends. I also send emails to a few friends. The gifts are usually homegrown fruit: (oranges, lemons, persimmons, tangerines, and guavas) with a Christmas card, crocheted pot holders, or hand knit socks. I pick things up at Costco for my parents, so I don't notice the expense. This and that throughout the year...

I really enjoy Christmas now. I just don't have all those intense expectations or demands. My mom used to decorate our house like Nordstom's every year. It took her a whole week to pack up and put away the decorations. She went way overboard on everything. She's trying to get me to come for Christmas this year, but I think I'll offer to cook them Thanksgiving dinner instead. Christmas is too loaded...

I do not think I will ever participate in the commercial aspect of Christmas ever again. I have not enjoyed the hoopla since I was a teen. My mom was a Christmas ho ho fanatic. I stopped trees and decorations years and years ago. Gifts are few. Mom passed in the spring and I feel free of obligation of the Santa Ho Ho and visiting, which I only did for her.

Now that I've toned it way down, I actually like it. But, I also have extra money now. When I was in debt, it was a real strain. I couldn't afford it, and felt obligated. I like to give little surprises to people who work in jobs that I appreciate. Each year I mean to give the garbage collectors something. This year I'll take something in to the girls that work behind the desk at the gym. They are always really sweet to me. I may knit a pair of socks for the lady from Korea who cuts my hair. She got a very wistful look on her face when she saw the last pair I was knitting. She loved the colors. I don't think she has much money for extras. I'd like to surprise her with a set.
    When I was teaching dance and yoga, money was really tight. I received so many lovely, useful gifts at Christmas. The students wrote very appreciative notes and cards. I still have some of them. I was amazed at what they picked out for me. It was touching. So, I would like to do that for someone else. It meant a lot to me at the time. The amount of money I was making at the time was not very good, but the students' enthusiasm and appreciation was generous.

I see it as purely optional for most people. Spent a lot of time researching the historical and cultural background to all the customs, thought about it, and decided it is a free country and to voluntarily opt out. However since my kids still celebrate it (I brought them up to, after all) we do visit with them around that time; I just don't do a tree etc. or decorate for it in my home, or pay any attention to the date of it. We are weaning ourselves away from most holiday and birthday gift-giving in general. However, I am pretty addicted to the music still...

Thread Information