Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am Simply Divine

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    How do you know it will be stressful? I mean why do you think so, was the last Training Coordinator putting in overtime running around ragged with impossible demands or what? Is it a management position and you just think management is stressful in general? I definitely don't think management appeals to all personality types. Is it just because it's new, everything new is initially stressful but if that's the only stressful aspect of it, it will diminish to normal eventually.

Alternately you have time to use your mind by it not being consumed by your work 8 hours a day (of course hard physical labor might preclude this - as your mind gets totally consumed by the physical task). I think the ideal for being free to let your mind wander is light physical labor.

and from the stress! Which is fattening itself, and you may have no physical way to discharge it immediately (yea sure you can go to the gym after work), and it will be more fattening if you are at all tempted to eat to deal with stress. Well, I just gained about 5 pounds from two nightmare weeks :\
    I know it can be stressful because I had two informational interviews, one with someone who held the position until he started upper division classes at college, and the current one who likes her work but feels she is "pigeonholing" herself by working in HR. It's a lot of paperwork, a lot of policy and law to learn, and you cannot fall behind. However, the training coordinator's boss is reputed to be easy to work with, and you do get trained in a workshop the first week.

I don't mind light physical labor. I routinely lift boxes in the 15-25 pound range, and as I am not that strong I have suffered with some back pain. I have learned how to pick up boxes more safely, and yoga has increased my flexibility so I am not in as much pain as I used to be. That said, I don't expect to be in this position forever, judging by my family's tendency to have knee and hip replacements.

I actually lose weight when I am stressed, which is not as good as it sounds. If I am severely stressed during a long period of time, I start looking anorexic. A more sedentary job would require me to exercise after work a little more, but that wouldn't be a big deal as I have a stationary bicycle at home and can always take a walk around the block. I would be on my feet some of the time as I would lead new employee orientation classes once a week for a few hours. But most of the time I would be sharing an office as opposed to logging a few miles of walking every day like I am doing right now. If I take the job and feel I am getting too sedentary, I could buy a bicycle and ride to work and back, if necessary. It's 15 minutes one way between my house and work.

Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    Welcome aboard!

I think it doesn't hurt to apply, and then you can find out more details and decide if you will accept or not. But by not applying you're closing the door to yourself without all the information.
    I have decided I am going to apply when I can, just to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrimbath View Post
    Another consideration is how long you can continue the physical aspects of the job. A friend just turned 40-ish and realized that she'll have to find another type of job within a few years. Where do you see yourself 5, 10, or 30 years from now? I hope you become Financially Independent, but what is sustainable until then? Physical labor that is low stress and where you are well suited may actually save you on health care. But, if physical labor wears you down, maybe you'll need to find another job - eventually. Don't rush, unless you need to. Something from outside the company may arrive too, true?
    The physical aspects of the job, such as dealing with the elements and having to lift heavy boxes, make me think I would not want to do this 20+ years from now. This is one of the reasons why a career in HR looks preferable. I don't plan to leave the company any time soon. I might get some master's degrees in HR and Business Administration so I could expand the career opportunities available, but that's more of a long-term plan for the next 10 years. If I get the degrees and learn I could go somewhere else that is a good expenditure of my life energy, I might go. But for the foreseeable future, I plan to stay with my current employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Hi there! and welcome!

For the work situation I'd do the traditional 2-column Pros & Cons and see how it works out. My personal feeling is that working in Human Resources is pretty tough; I'd rather work with plants...but that's just me. Good luck!
    Part of me would like to work with plants and such; part of me wants a nice middle-class career so I could finally make some decent money. The pros of going into HR are a solid career path, more money toward FI, meeting more people inside and outside the company, and sitting down! The cons are potentially more stress, becoming more sedentary overall, and putting more effort to avoid joining the rat race. It's easy to be frugal when broke and everyone around you is also frugal. I would probably run into more earn-and-spend people as I climbed the corporate ladder.

Thank you Tussiemussies, SteveinMN, gimmethesimplelife, and everyone else for welcoming me to the forum. How nice!

Welcome, Simply Divine! I know the pull of wanting work that is mentally challenging, but also realizing that those jobs often come with increased stress and a sedentary lifestyle, which brings its own problems. I'm interested in hearing what comes of your decision.

Thread Information