Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric vs gas stove?

Electric vs gas stove?

For many decades, I have had an electric stove and find them convenient but they do limit one at times.
    I would love to use a wok, for one thing, which is hard with my electric stove and it is impossible to use with a pressure canner.

What are some pros and challenges with a gas stove and contraindications vs an electric stove that you would consider important in choosing one over the other?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don't do much (any!) cooking but I do like a gas stove for the instantaneous on/off thing. Seems to cook more evenly too. I have used a wok on an electric stove before with success - not that anyone would call anything I ever cooked a "success" :-)!

I prefer a gas stove. It heats things more quickly and the heat is easier to adjust to your requirements.

We have an induction stove at the moment. It came with our apartment. It's surprisingly good but not all cookware works on it.

Having a kitchen fitted at the moment. I have bought a Neff gas hob with a wok burner and a double electric oven. Sadly gas ovens seem to be disappearing in the UK in built-in units. But there are loads of free standing gas stovesavailable.

I grew up cooking on an Aga. When I had the kitchenrenovated a number of years ago, I replaced it with gas hob and ovens. I prefer gas to electricity for its immediacy (no milk boil-overs!)
    Last edited by IshbelRobertson; 5-3-14 at 8:06am. Reason: Gas hob

Gas stove ALL THE WAY. I grew up with electric, but since I've known DH, we've had a gas stove. Much easier to control the heat when you can see the flame. And as others have said, when it's on it's on. When it's off, it's off.

Also, I like the idea that if the power goes out, usually, unless it's a huge disaster like an earthquake, you can always cook.

No reason at all to get electric as far as I'm concerned. Some people say they're easier to clean, but that's not true anymore. I just got a new gas stove when we spruced up our kitchen and it's a dream to clean.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

And in most places - at least in the US - natural gas is MUCH cheaper then electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    And in most places - at least in the US - natural gas is MUCH cheaper then electric.
    Except for heating in winter time. Gas tends to have seasonal prices and those I know whose entire homes are electric, have a consistant bill, while the gas goes up in winter.
    Both chefs I know, prefer gas tops and electric ovens.

Hmm, not sure gas has seasonal prices here (wouldn't that kind of presuppose having seasons ), my gas bill goes up somewhat in winter but I always assumed that was usage.

I've always used gas stoves except one apartment that was all electric (it was nice having 1 less bill - no gas bill! but you can really only pull that off if you don't use gas for the water heater, heating, etc. - it was an ALL electric setup). With electric you can buy green power and so feel quite green about it (don't know if rooftop solar would be sufficient or not) and electric has energy star ratings for which you can choose an energy star model and might get some government rebates.

I think some pans may not work on electric but most should (apparently even copper should work). Whether it's that easy to control the heat on a gas stove - meh - I have a gas stove that's at least several decades old and probably was an apartment base model even then and sure you can turn the heat up and down, but it's near impossible to get a real low simmer, it tends to get hot fast. But a decades old apartment model, that's why. This makes me want to replace my stove - maybe someday to the extent that's really not worth doing on a rental but ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Count me among the votes for gas as well. Far far easier to control how hot it is and instantly adjust if need be. The only reason I would willingly choose electric would be if gas service was unavailable, and frankly that would be a big negative towards that pre-existing house or house site if we were building from scratch.

I don't like gas for cooking or heating, though if I did a lot of gourmet-grade wok cooking I might invest in a gas burner (is there such a thing?*). I always picture coming home to gassed pets or having my house go up in flames or something. I know that's unlikely, but we're in an earthquake zone, and I remember Northridge...You can get electric pressure cookers that allow for canning.

ETA: Electricity is relatively cheap here (hydro-electric) I pay less than $100 a month year 'round. When I buy again, I'll look for another all-electric house.

*Yes there is. Butane.

Thread Information