Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper or house - need advice

Houses can be real money pits. We have had repairs like plumbing replacements and foundation issue that were over $10K each.

I would agree with the others on not buying a house with a loan at this time. Do you have an emergency fund? Do you have health insurance, and if so what are the deductible and out of pocket maximums? Do you have a car and how old is it? Two thousand can go pretty fast if you lose your job, have a big car repair bill or have really any kind of non-routine medical or dental bills.

Ok I have an idea! I didn't even consider buying a mobile home, but maybe that is more in my price range, it's mobile, and will give me more of a house feel than a camper. I will look into pricing and what all is involved with that. Maybe I can find one around 600 square feet, a mini mobile home. I have an aversion to living in a mobile home (I grew up in them and I think it reminds me of when my parents were married), but it really does make the most sense. Probably more secure than a camper too. I have been thinking about the fact that I will be alone on the property.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyBreath View Post
    Ok I have an idea! I didn't even consider buying a mobile home, but maybe that is more in my price range, it's mobile, and will give me more of a house feel than a camper. [snip] Probably more secure than a camper too.
    ButterflyBreath, why do you think a mobile home would be more secure than a camper?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I don't know. I just assumed. Bigger doors, bigger locks, etc.

Question. I found out recently that it's harder to buy land without a house because it requires more down payment. If I find land of my own and put a trailer on it, would the down payment be lower than if I just buy land without a dwelling? The reason I am asking is because my dad's land is on the side of a small mountain with a less than desirable driveway. I wouldn't mind paying to move it up there, but when he moves I would have to move it again if the buyer doesn't want the trailer, and I'm sure it will be expensive to move. Seems to make more sense to go ahead and put it on a property that I own so I don't have to move it.

Check out these affordable home ownership options in TN:

http://www.cltnetwork.org/index.php?...rList&state=TN

Mobile homes are very expensive to move around here. When my MIL died we sold hers because it made no financial sense to move it. She was renting the land it was on.

Yes, and that's why I was considering a camper...easier to move! Thank you for confirming this : )

I wonder if the home ownership question is the wrong question to be asking in terms of long term financial stability - or perhaps only part of the question. I do not know what your employment options are in your area of the country, but in my area, home health is not at all a lucrative field to be in. What would be some ways you could increase your income? If you like health care, a nursing degree? That's one idea, and I'm sure not a very creative one, but I do know a number of nurses who are doing well. Just wanted to throw that out there. Saving money can go a long way, but coupled with increased income, it can really make a big difference in long term financial security.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

You could look into buying a wooden storage unit and insulating it and improving it, making it basically a 'tiny house' that could stay moveable, but not on wheels. Put it on the family land, and go from there. You would learn many things, like how to install plumbing and such that will do you well when you do buy a house, and also what you really need to call a place a home.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Thread Information