Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large quake, Tsunami hit Japan, coming to west coast

Large quake, Tsunami hit Japan, coming to west coast

An 8.9 quake occurred in the pacific. I guess it hit Japan's northeast coast really hard. Now they're telling people on the U.S. west coast and Hawaii to evacuate. Pretty scary stuff. I hope any of you in these areas stay safe.

Just now watching all this on tv. Looks scary. I remember living in the Marshalls in 1964 when the big Alaska quake sent a tsunami throughout the Pacific. It washed into our islands without incident, but it was very frightening to be on a sea level island with a wave on the way. I was just a first grader.

Its hard to watch the images on TV.......large boats and all sorts of debris spreading over the farm fields in Japan. I wonder what this means for more quakes around the rim. I wonder if this will affect Bae at all. Hopefully he's too far north. I know we have some people here in So Cal. I hope they'll be okay.

Darn. DD just reminded me that a good friend of her's lives in that northern part of Japan.

It's supposed to hit here in about 10 minutes. My mother and all her neighbors, who live right on the beach, are arriving in moments for an impromptu brunch here at my 1200 foot above sea level living room :-)

I'm glad you're out of harm's way Bae, and I hope your mom's and her neighbors' homes make it through without damage.

I can't make myself look at pictures of the destruction. My little brother lives in Japan, 2 prefectures away from where it hit, but he has already reported in safely. No power or water where he is, but that's nothing, relatively.

Glad you are high bae and provide shelters to the rest....
    treehugger glad to hear your little brother is safe

It is coming through right this moment, it looks like it is less than a meter. The normal tidal range here is 2+ meters, and the tide was partially out to begin with, so it looks like no damage even at the most vulnerable spot, which is our village, which is at the end of a 10 mile long fjord that narrows and gets shallow at the village end....

so glad you are o.k., bae.......the first minute I heard "tsunami" I thought about you, and others of our members who might be in vulnerable places......

Thread Information