Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2WD vs 4WD

2WD vs 4WD

We bought a used 4Runner this Sept, a vehicle we had wanted for several years. Today we tried it out in the snow, switching between 2WD and 4WD. Obviously one cannot drive these as if it were a summer day but I definitely noticed the difference. I'm glad we got it, and looking forward to a hopefully better commute if I have a day like today to drive to work...

Remember however that it brakes like any other vehicle....

And 4wd is not something that makes one immune to ice. (seen enough of that)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Yes, I've seen too many people thinking with their SUV lately, and it leads to stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Yes, I've seen too many people thinking with their SUV lately, and it leads to stupid.
    Better in snow but as quoted above same as any other vehicle on ice. I don't know why some people think 4WD is any better on ice. I've seen many big, 4WD vehicles in the ditch as I've putted along on an icy highway in my 2WD vehicle.

Husband had driven for 40 years in both rear and front wheel 2 wheel drive cars in Upstate NY, Alaska and lake side Ohio interstates. He uses good snow tires and has never driven off the road because of snow and ice.

4WD leads people to overdriving for the conditions. They put themselves and everyone else at danger.

Amen!!! I lived at the very top of a very steep hill in NYS for 20 years and I will never forget creeping along in my little Plymouth Acclaim on a very snowy,slick morning and this Jeep Cherokee passed me had to be going 70 and throwing a mini-blizzard in his wake,my 1 & only thought was he must really believe the commercials!

Everything I have is 4WD and I don't go anywhere when we've got ice. These curvy hilly cliff roads just aren't worth it. I love 4WD for muddy conditions and some of the steeper boat ramps.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    Better in snow but as quoted above same as any other vehicle on ice. I don't know why some people think 4WD is any better on ice. I've seen many big, 4WD vehicles in the ditch as I've putted along on an icy highway in my 2WD vehicle.
    4WD is superior on many forms of icy road. *If* you know how to properly make use of it. Which most people don't.

Instead they go "Oooh, I have 4WD! Let's find a ditch to run off into!".

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    4WD is superior on many forms of icy road. *If* you know how to properly make use of it. Which most people don't.

Instead they go "Oooh, I have 4WD! Let's find a ditch to run off into!".
    I guess those who know how to properly make use of 4WD on icy roads don't live in my neck of the woods. I live in the country with plenty of hilly, curvy, icy roads before getting to paved roads that have been salted/sanded. I do know from experience that tires make a difference.

Thread Information