Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about tumeric

Turmeric tastes much better after cooking (as opposed to just dissolving in hot water).
    Look up "turmeric tea" - a traditional remedy for respiratory illnesses - this should be cooked, too, not just dissolved. Turmeric with honey in hot water, milk optional.
    I use turmeric in many foods - most bean dishes, Mexican and Indian foods, etc.

To learn research-backed specifics I suggest two sources:
    pubmed.com (easily searched)
    nutritionfacts.org (summaries of peer-reviewed research)

I have recently been more conscious of adding turmeric to some recipes because of its benefits.

Here they are from World's Healthiest Foods.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I didn't know much about turmeric and this is the first time I saw the website world's healthiest foods. Thanks for the info.

Nice to see you, Rosemary! It's been awhile!
    Catherine: Thanks for that link. I had never seen that website before either.

Yes, we use it a lot in cooking.
    Agreed that it tastes much better cooked! Usually when we use it we heat it in the cooking oil until it blooms. We don't use it in a real medicinal way (don't add heaps to everything) - just hope that all the anti-inflammatory foods we eat will work together to create better health. It has a mild flavor.

One unusual way we've found to use it is to put it in the water you soak and cook beans in. It colors the beans but doesn't have a lot of effect on the flavor (it does improves the texture of dried garbanzos, making them less mealy.)

I do occasionally take turmeric capsules for headaches or aches and pains. It is as effective as Tylenol for me.

ANM - interesting about the black pepper connection! I didn't know that. My capsules do not contain black pepper.

As much as I love curry in all its forms, I think raw turmeric tastes like wood shavings. That said, I should use more of it. I have a huge container of it just sitting around unused.

Well, I had DH sprinkle it on my eggs this morning, after reading this post. I could barely taste it, so if sprinkling a little on is going to help, and my eggs are going to pretty much taste the same, I say, why not do it?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Spurred on by this thread, I incorporated turmeric and pepper (with ras al hanout) into my stuffed eggplant. And ghee, among other things. I do take curcumin off and on, but I need to use up that pound of turmeric before it goes bad (and how would you tell?)

A few years ago I started making a tumeric tincture and have been taking it. Supposedly, there are MANY reasons to take tumeric, one being that it helps prevent tumors, arthritis... on and on. I despise curry and many of the pills have so much other "stuff" in them that it just seems easier to take a tincture.

Take it in capsule form so there is no taste, but didn't realize that black pepper helps it to assimilate. Also need to take glucosamine too. The turmeric I take is by Nature Made and it says to eat with meals, maybe there is black pepper in capsule form? Thanks for the information!

In the Sikh religion here in the US they have been making a paste of this and eating regularly for arthritis prevention, quite awhile before there was any scientific backing...chris

Thread Information