Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading in Jan of 2014?

The Valley of Amazement - Amy Tan
    The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion - Fannie Flagg
    Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

I am enjoying the first two, but am not sure about Gone Girl. Is it worth finishing? Anyone? I usually like character driven novels, but I am not sure about this one.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly View Post

I am enjoying the first two, but am not sure about Gone Girl. Is it worth finishing? Anyone? I usually like character driven novels, but I am not sure about this one.
    This is a suspense novel. I normally don't like those, but this one was fun because it was unexpected and also it was set in my State and some scenes set around here. If you are 50 pages into it and don't care, at this point, what happened to the missing wife, I'd say leave it.

Iris, I think that I will do that, and take it back to the library when I go in to work. I am 168 pages in. The wife seems nice, the husband seems not nice, neither of which is likely to be true, eventually. I am not fond of her parents.

The only characters who are not bugging me are the police, and I suspect that I am wrong about them, as well. I will try it again at some time. Maybe.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

I just finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. I couldn't put it down but it was pretty disturbing. Currently, I am reading Leaving Clare by Geraldine O'Neill, an Irish saga in the vein of Maeve Binchy. So far, it's been an okay, light read. Next up is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand for my book club. The subject (WWII) isn't all that interesting to me but it hasn't gotten over 5000 five-star reviews on Amazon.
    My blog: The Game Ranch

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien

I would say no--it's not worth finishing. I read the first 30-40? pages, and the last ten. I found all the characters unlikeable. But I'm in the minority.

Personally I liked Gone Girl and wanted to read more by this author. Someone brought me copies of Sharp Objects and Dark Places. I found bought of them disturbing. Liked Gone Girl much better.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I'm reading a free ebook called Living Nonduality. It's kind of like reading Eckart Tolle's A New Earth because there are a lot of "a-ha moments" you get as you read it.

I've been reading books by Neale Donald Wasch. I read Conversations with God vol. 1 and am now reading Friendship with God while I wait to get my hands on Vol 2 of Conversations. These are great books to me. I've always had issues with Christianity and like the thoughts and ideas found in these books.
    I didn't want to look back at the end of my life or after some great catastrophe and think, 'How happy I used to be then if only I'd realized it.'
    Gretchen Rubin-- The Happiness Project

I'm currently reading Night Film by Marissa Pessl on the recommendation of a friend. I'm currently on page 350 of 587 and it's finally getting moving. Anybody read this? Is it going to be worth the long slog? I mean I like a good set up as well as the next person but... come on!

Prior to that I finished The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion. That was fun. And now suddenly I've been hearing about the WASP's in the news lately. Coincidence?

Iris, I think that I will do that, and take it back to the library when I go in to work. I am 168 pages in. The wife seems nice, the husband seems not nice, neither of which is likely to be true, eventually. I am not fond of her parents.

The only characters who are not bugging me are the police, and I suspect that I am wrong about them, as well. I will try it again at some time. Maybe.
    There are definitely some not nice people in that novel which made it delicious for me!

Thread Information