Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do so many like Harlequin and other romances?

IL, maybe we did talk about the Outlander books before. I don't really remember. But they ARE fun.

IL
    I shan't reiterate my views on her tosh!

I would not put the Outlander series and harlequin in the same category. I haven't met any lady who has read the outlander series and forgot about it where as with harlequin they are such fast reads and so formula they are easily mixed up. I never did finish the Outlander series, I think I only read 3 books but my husband began worrying that I'd be comparing him to Jamie all time (and he might of been right).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I missed that discussion on Outlanders LOL, sounds as though it may have been fun to read. I did a search for any comments on the series but could not find it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Never read the Outlander books but I believe the author is an Arizonan, so maybe I should give her a look.

Ishbel, my father was born in Scotland so does that give me a pass?

The Outlander series is not at all like a Harlequin. Harlequin novels are better put to use as coasters. I loved the first book in the series and I think I made it through the 4th or 5th and just got bogged down. Now Breath of Snow is sitting there taunting me. I'm not taking the bait. I have to read up on Game of Thrones before the next season comes up on Netflix. My hours on this earth are finite.........

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I would not put the Outlander series and harlequin in the same category.
    I could list six books that are all romance novels of some sort, but all arguably belong in different categories. There's almost always someone who objects to however anything is categorized. The Outlander series started out pretty decent, but after the fourth book or so its most distinguishing characteristics from some other romance novels is its length and density. Admittedly, though, I've never read a Harlequin romance. I suppose those belong in a category along with all other serialized, team-written books, romance or otherwise. (The same model is used in science fiction and fantasy.)

I suspect Harlequins are to the USA what Mills &Boon books are on this side of the pond.

Thread Information