Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orman and Suleman on Oprah

Orman and Suleman on Oprah

OK, I'm indulging in my guilty pleasure and watching Oprah. Oprah connected Nadya Suleman (Octomom) with Suze Orman because O.M. is destitute and she reached out to Oprah for help.

Funny thing is, Suze Orman is really annoying me. I thought Suleman would annoy me, but right now, Suze is really being obnoxious.

The thing that really bugged me was that O.M. had said she had 3-4 nannies to help her with the babies. Suze, in her financial rehab plan, told O.M. to get rid of the nannies, because "God doesn't give you more than you can handle." This is from a person who never had ONE child, and has NO CLUE what it's like to have 1-2 kids underfoot, never mind 14.

I'm not defending O.M.'s choices to have all these kids, but she does have these children now, and how Suze Orman can believe that she can manage these kids with no nannies makes my head spin. Even Oprah disagreed with Suze on that one.

Actually, the condescending faces Orman is making, and frankly O.M.'s nervous gestures and manner of speaking are all driving me nuts at the moment.

I guess I should just get back to work!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I saw this show about a month ago...I usually don't mind Orman but,
    I do not agree with O.M. choices either, but Orman was making matters worse not better. (As far as I know it isn't even legal to have that many children of those ages in one persons care)
    Tough love like that does not need to be done on T.V., Oprah looked like she had lost control of the show...
    Even people who have made mistakes deserve common courtesy.
    Having said that I hope O.M. was listening and can make some changes because she will end up losing those children.

Reyes
    danna, I believe the laws regarding numbers of children apply to day care centers, not to parents.

This may seem sharp, but Octomom has done such massively stupid things, those kids are innocents and simply deserve better. They should be removed from her home, divided up into managable numbers, and someone else should raise them. Why should her kids suffer becuase their dolt of a single mother felt obligated to give birth to 14 children when she could not afford them? 1 or 2 when things are tough, maybe... even 3... but 14?????

It would be kinder to the kids to be removed from OM's care and raised in homes where they will get much more individual attention, love and parents who can teach them how to make responsible decisions. Let OM come visit, let them know their mother and each other... but give the kids a stable existence and a chance at life.... away from that mental case.

I'm just watching the video on Oprah of all the kids... No way can one person (plus nannies) adequately care for that many innocent babies. And she just said if she could go back, while she loved them "they wouldn't be here" and "I hate myself because I'm not being me."

What a mess.

edit: After watching the sad train-wreck that is Octomom, I predict she will eventually walk away from all those kids. No way will she survive raising them all another 10-15 years...
    Last edited by Gina; 3-11-11 at 7:57pm.
    moo

From what (little) I've seen of her offspring, they're essentially feral. Having fewer caretakers won't help. Even the strongest, most stable, capable, and well-organized parent would have trouble maintaining control in this situation, and she's not that.

Wildflower
    I saw that show awhile back and yes, Suze Orman was being obnoxious! As far as Nadya Suleman goes - I feel somewhat sorry for her because I believe she is mentally ill. Those kids deserve better than the life they're living, and I don't believe this show solved any problems at all for Suleman or the kids. A ratings ploy for those who enjoy watching a trainwreck, because that's all it was, sad to say. I'm sorry I watched....

When someone reached out for help and get patronized and judged in return, that is not helpful, it's just plain mean.

The little I've seen or heard of Orman hasn't impressed me. She had an interview on Marketplace Money and she gave these dumb little soundbite-like pieces of advice, such as "just learn to like saving more than spending! That's what I did!". Haven't paid the least bit of attention to Octomom, though on the surface she seems a few cards short of a deck.

You know as much as I dislike what Octo Mom did, she is a neighbor of mine. Not as in next door but she lives about a half mile away from me. I see her occasionally at the grocery store and she exercises at a health club a friend works at. I am sympathetic to her plight. Her house is tidy from the outside and I have heard of no complaints from her neighbors once the television trucks moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by San Onofre Guy View Post
    You know as much as I dislike what Octo Mom did, she is a neighbor of mine. Not as in next door but she lives about a half mile away from me. I see her occasionally at the grocery store and she exercises at a health club a friend works at. I am sympathetic to her plight. Her house is tidy from the outside and I have heard of no complaints from her neighbors once the television trucks moved out.
    Very interesting, S O Guy! Does she have any of the children with her at the grocery store?

Won't she be getting a nice sum for appearing on Oprah?

Thread Information