Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: birthday trip ideas?

I love the point-(the-car-)and-shoot idea -- some of my favorite vacations were done that way. But if you want to see "beautiful natural places before they change or disappear", I think you'll have to do more planning -- unless you can pick a highway like I-90 that passes through or close to several scenic areas.

Maybe you could narrow it down to an area of the country/world of which you'd like to see more -- or have never ever seen? And, if you can include some non-U.S. destinations, could currency exchange or the destination's local economy have a bearing in how long you could stay or how much you'd have to spend?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Depending on when in September, you might consider a road trip through parts of New England. By mid-month we usually have gorgeous leaves and the weather is often great for hiking or other outdoor adventures.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

One year DH and I started the idea of driving until we had to fill the gas tank and then stopping there to camp and to explore what the area offered. Some places were in Vermont, some Maine and some New Brunswick. It was fun and we discovered the world of driving off the expressways so we meandered in small towns with lovely building, gardens and history. Never would we have read about or planned these visits. Very thrifty holiday, BTW, despite eating out each evening at a the local favourite eating hole. Had my first New England boiled dinner at one old inn which had a sandwich board in front promoting the dinner between 5 -7pm, if I remember correctly.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We use to always return to Hilton Head and the family condos for our Anniversaries every year, then we spent years and years doing the BMAC shows in Philly over our anniversaries. This year we're returning to SC for spring break with the kids but to a condo at Beaufort instead of HH. MIL sold all the HH condos and someone owes my lawyer BIL some money and offered his condo as partial payment - we get the benefit! Day trips to Charleston and Savannah are already planned.

Honestly for my birthday the last few years I've enjoyed a private retreat all by myself. It's my favorite way to start my new year. I've already got the little ranch cottage reserved that I've used before. It's only 40 minutes from home and wonderful and refreshing.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Next September, DH and I will celebrate a landmark birthday for both of us. We would like to take a memorable trip to honor our decades.
    I have started poking around the internet to get ideas but am overwhelmed by the possibilities. The things that sound wonderful are beyond our budget ($3-4K) unless I stumble onto some extra money somewhere I am not real big on packaged tours or cruises but not having to plan every detail might feel more relaxing.
    Hawaii? Alaska? Costa Rica? Canada? US Natl parks? Puerto Rico? Totally unplanned road trip - get in the car and go?
    I guess I am just brainstorming and looking for ideas or starting points.We want to see beautiful natural places before they change or disappear.Love trains and out of the way places - not tourist traps.
    Need to know what type of things you enjoy doing. DH and I just got back (November) from a WONDERFUL vacation for a week that I planned. We stayed in Fort Lauderdale, went to the Keys, tramped around the Everglades. Total cost was around $1,800 for airfare, hotel, rental car, meals, and tickets for what we wanted to do. We love nature and animal photography. Pick what interests you and plan from there. It does take planning but TOTALLY worth it. We have another trip planned in a month. I have the motels/hotels, air, and car already booked. I will print out various options of things to do closer to the date.

what type of things you enjoy doing
    Places: Nature preserves or parks, coasts, gardens, mountains, historical sites.
    Activities: Hiking, gardening, photography (this is key with dh), riding trains, birding
    We live in deep Texas where everything seems far away.
    Have been to California and PNW, Rockies, desert SW and Chicago/St Louis. That's it.
    Have never been to New England, the South, Florida.
    Leaning towards a road trip ending in Alaska where we could take ferries rather than expensive cruises and then fly back.
    I am always drawn to the west for some reason.

The white mountains in New Hampshire are very nice and also the Maine coast. If you do go to Alaska I have seen stuff about a train you can take in Alaska.

I agree with starting with what you'd find most enjoyable and plan around that.
    Trips to see most beautiful public gardens? History buff? Outdoors/Mountain hiking person, or Indoors/museum person?

Lots of states have travel bureaus who could point out some interesting sites off the beaten path. Maybe even AAA could give some ideas.

California is an awful big state - and you mentioned mountains - have you been to the High Sierras? Lake Tahoe? We think that area is about the most beautiful scenery we've ever seen in our lives (not that we've seen all that much. ) Maybe look into VRBO, rent a mountain cabin centrally located somewhere so you could do hikes and day trips?

If you decided to go with New England, there's so much to do, and it's a relatively small part of the country.

You have beaches all up along 95, through CT straight up through Maine--and you get to hit Boston along the way.
    You have mountains in the western parts, like Pittsfield, MA, and of course you have mountains in VT and NH.
    You have so much history, if you enjoy that kind of thing.

I think it would make a nice vacation if you haven't been there before, and you could definitely do it on your budget.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information