Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 What movies are you watching

Tried to see Boyhood yesterday but like everything else here - there was a line out the door. We'll catch it on a weekday maybe.

Just rented Noah, Pompeii, and Winter's Tale to watch this week. Haven't watched any movies in weeks so have to catch up.

OK watched Noah yesterday - Blech! Didn't like it at all. Wasn't too thrilled with Pompeii or Winters Tale either but wasn't expecting much. So today (as I hide indoors from the mid-day sun during a heat wave) I'll watch the new "300" (with no Gerard Butler alas) and a couple of newer Sci-Fi things I'm sure to like. Also going to re-watch "Donnie Darko" again as it's one of my "weird" favorites. Love free/low cost DVD's from the library!

Wow! We just spent the last 3 evenings watching Bletchley Circle. It was so good! I mailed the DVD back to Netflix this morning and moved the next two in the series up to the top.

I am reviewing titles in this thread. Thanks, everyone! There are several I still want to see: Nebraska, Belle, Grand Budapest Hotel, Lego Movie, the one with Gandolfini and Louis-Dreyfus. I may go with DH to see Guardians of the Galaxy next weekend even though Sci Fi isn't my thing, but this one is getting good reviews.

Next week Calvary is coming to the theaters, with Brendon Gleeson. It's about a murderer who, resentful of Catholic priests, is out to shoot Gleeson's character.

I watched a German film about a serial murderer called (English title) The Silence. It was very interesting, recommended for those who like police procedural. It's about the murder of a young girl, and a later crime exactly like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    OK watched Noah yesterday - Blech! Didn't like it at all. Wasn't too thrilled with Pompeii or Winters Tale either but wasn't expecting much. So today (as I hide indoors from the mid-day sun during a heat wave) I'll watch the new "300" (with no Gerard Butler alas) and a couple of newer Sci-Fi things I'm sure to like. Also going to re-watch "Donnie Darko" again as it's one of my "weird" favorites. Love free/low cost DVD's from the library!
    Donnie Darko is a cult favorite! It's crazy.

I toyed with the idea of watching Winter's Tale just for the pretty scenery (including the pretty Mr. Ferrell) but haven't watched it yet, too many other good things out there.

Saw the Railway Man this evening. Well cast, good pace, and worth seeing. The audience broke out in applause at the end.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Donnie Darko is a cult favorite! It's crazy.

I toyed with the idea of watching Winter's Tale just for the pretty scenery (including the pretty Mr. Ferrell) but haven't watched it yet, too many other good things out there.
    Winter's Tale was....blah.... even with pretty scenery and even prettier Mr. Ferrell in it. Too much kid-ish fantasy stuff for me. I'll stick to Donnie Darko and other weird and wonderful tales. I can see why it's a cult classic...for those of us with slightly off-kilter minds :-)! I did rent another cult classic I never saw - "Eraserhead" - and...um...well...er... I guess it's just TOO sophisticated for me. Spent the entire time going 'What?" "Huh?" and the classic "WTF!!!!!!!?" Guess this was one David Lynch I didn't get.

Rented "The Railway Man" last night. Agree with razz.......it was very good. It's a true story. DH and I also watched the "Bonus" section and it was interesting. It is taken from the book that the man wrote, who experienced this.
    It's about British prisoners held by the Japanese in WWll who were forced to help build the railroad. This railroad also goes over the River Kwai. It's interesting in that this is a true story, whereas "The Bridge On the River Kwai" is fiction.
    Last edited by CathyA; 9-1-14 at 4:37am.

I rented About Time...oh, such a nice movie, written by the writer of Love, Actually, another nice film.

Today watched Philomena, with Judi Dench. Another nice one. Next to watch is Inside Llewyn Davis.

Thread Information