Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 What movies are you watching

My Netflix DVD queue got stuck for awhile with some stuff I never quite got around to watching, but I have reordered it and am now catching up again (it's a good time since I'm not really into the Olympics.) Saw Admission, which was charming enough for a Friday night...I really like Paul Rudd and Tina Fey was fine too. Now watching "Orphan Black" which was a BBC TV series about a young woman who sees a woman who looks exactly like her commit suicide in a train station, and then she decides to steal the woman's identity...but then discovers the truth is a lot more complicated than she expected. The lead actress is terrific but it's going a little slower than I would like so I don't know yet if I'll watch the whole series.

I highly recommend this Danish film: The Hunt. It's nominated for a 2014 Academy Award for Best Foreign film. It's about a man accused of child molestation. Even though the theme seems circa-1990's-early 2000 to me, this is an interesting treatment. The lead actor, that Scandinavian actor who is in every Scandinavian film it seems, was very good. There are several breathtakingly beautiful historic houses and a church in it.

We saw Captain Phillips last weekend and then a few days later two former Seals were found dead in that same ship. Tragic.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-11-14 at 12:16am.

Just saw "The Lives of Others" - the 2006 Academy award winner for Best Foreign Language film. It's set in 1984 in East Germany before the collapse of the Berlin wall. The secret police, or Stasi, bug a writer's apartment.

You can see the chilling effect of everyone living under constant surveillance. The sad thing is, current day U.S. is perilously close to that same life.

Finally saw August: Osage County, which I've been dying to see, and all I can say is, I'm glad I didn't pay movie theatre prices to see it. I usually like psychological family dramas, but this was too much. Stellar performances, especially by Meryl Streep, but beyond that ..

Anyone else see it? What did you think?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Last night we watched All is Lost Geez.......It was hard to watch, although the character was very resourceful. And the ending was very ambiguous.
    Too intense for my liking.

Saw Secret Life of Walter Mitty last night which was sufficiently silly to hold my attention for its duration. Good message too. Get out and do the things you dream about.

I'm on a belated Oscars binge: "Winter's Bone" (excellent and harrowing), "Moneyball" (interesting for the data-crunching aspect; I don't like baseball), "The Master" (I did *not* like this; only watched for Philip Seymour Hoffman (RIP)), "The Wolf of Wall Street" (horrifying and hilarious), and "American Hustle" (gorgeously made and acted, but the story was hard to follow).

My husband and I had some free movie passes, so last month we went to see "Grand Budapest Hotel" (fantastic) at the Alamo Drafthouse, the best movie theater in the world.

Just saw "Belle" the story of the mixed-race child raised as an equal to her Caucasian cousin in 1790s England. Based on a true story.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_(2013_film)

Wonderful acting, and love the period scenes and costumes.

Yesterday was a family thing (2 nieces graduation party), and I expected the whole day to be the typical family get together. So when it wasn't, mom recorded a show for me and wanted to see another she thought I would. I watched Paul (comedy spoof on scifi movies) and The Desolation of Smaug. I found the Hobbit ones to be more enjoyable then the Lord of the Rings, certainly not worth the theater costs though. Paul was just a feel good thing that had me laughing at the references.

"A Million Ways to Die" - directed by Seth MacFarlane who also stars. Fun summer movie set in 1880s Arizona with the special brand of humor that Seth is known for in his Family Guy TV series.

Thread Information