Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what's for dinner in 2014?

Having my all-time comfort food tonight.... scalloped potatoes and ham. yummmmmm

Chili-marinated pork roast with onions, carrots, and apples.

Made veggie stir fry over leftover quinoa last night. The extra stir fry went over leftover rice for my husband's lunch for today.

I have a couple legs of octopus in the fridge that need to be eaten so they will go in a vegi marinara sauce over pasta with fresh baked bread.

Found a great little mom & pop fruit, vegi & fresh seafood market less than a 5 minute walk away from my home so I visit most mornings to check out what's fresh & reasonably priced each day. Doesn't allow for much meal planning ahead but it forces me to eat more seasonally and a much wider range of foods.

Tonight we are having pasta with caramelized onions and a salad.

Tomorrow - I'm not sure yet. I have a little bit of ham, 1 lb. of ground beef & frozen tilapia. I'm betting I won't be cooking the tilapia lol

Tonight, black beans cooked in the crockpot. I make it with a little red wine, olive oil, garlic, onions, a little vinegar, a little sugar, 1/2 tsp. cumin. I soak the beans for about 24 hours before cooking. Tossed in some fresh cilantro which I grow in pots on the patio. It reseeds itself so just one packet of seeds makes lots of crops. Fajita chicken breasts that I bought on "clearance" at ALDIS for about 40 cents a pound. Rice. Tossed salad with my homemade Italian dressing. All delicious. Cost of meal was less than $1 a pound. Other additions to this meal would be some yuca cooked and with garlic and lime, or some fried tostones (green plantains), with a homemade garlic-tomato dipping sauce.

I worked eleven hours today, with only two bathroom breaks. So, no fresh biscuits. No creamy gravy.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Sunday was smoked ham, mashed potatoes and broccoli. Monday was homemade lasagna from the freezer. Tuesday was orange chicken over brown rice. Tonight we had leftover tomato lentil soup with Swiss chard in it that I had made on Saturday, with feta cheese sprinkled over the top, along with homemade whole wheat rolls. Yum!

Salmon and fried potatoes, emphasis on herbs. Salmon coated with spice mixture (sage, lavender, thyme, etc.) I got last year on a trip to Northern Cali. sauteed in olive oil then baked. Old cold potato fried with olive oil, onion, garlic, and wild sage I gathered recently in the foothills.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
    I worked eleven hours today, with only two bathroom breaks. So, no fresh biscuits. No creamy gravy.
    This sounds amazingly similar to my job. But I managed a nice lo mein stir fry.

Last two nights were pasta with pesto, a huge green salad, and apple slices. Tonight, probably Happy Hour at the local Fonda! Tamales, margaritas, & salad, and all for under $25 for two people.

Thread Information