Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dilemma: to feed or not to feed

I, personally, feel that feeding the birds has become a big business and it's not always good for the birds. It really is for us humans to enjoy, and I'm not sure it's good for the birds. I only feed them in horrible conditions, when there are sub-zero temps and everything might be covered with snow. And it's only for a short time. Instead, I've grown bushes and flowers that make food for birds, and we also have tons of weeds that give seeds. Weeds have a function, and not just there to irritate us!
    Yes, I love bringing them close so I can see them, but it's like Bae mentioned.......it's not really "natural" and may lead to problems for the birds.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I, personally, feel that feeding the birds has become a big business and it's not always good for the birds. It really is for us humans to enjoy, and I'm not sure it's good for the birds. I only feed them in horrible conditions, when there are sub-zero temps and everything might be covered with snow. And it's only for a short time. Instead, I've grown bushes and flowers that make food for birds, and we also have tons of weeds that give seeds. Weeds have a function, and not just there to irritate us!
    Yes, I love bringing them close so I can see them, but it's like Bae mentioned.......it's not really "natural" and may lead to problems for the birds.
    One thing I notice is that when the weather warms up, I get a about a 1/3 of the birds I feed in the winter. They are still around, but they are off getting food from the actual sources.

We've been using sunflower seed and only in the winter. We have had bears, so wait to put out the feeders until Jan. hoping they are busy sleeping....The suet feeder also draws woodpeckers and nuthatches.

Thread Information