Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma: to feed or not to feed

Geila

Dilemma: to feed or not to feed

Hi all,
    I used to provide bird seed and a bird bath for the many birds that visit our gardens. We have lots of trees and shrubs so we get lots. But then the neighborhood cat found out and has been ambushing the birds. I feel like if I feed them I'm setting them up to die . But if I don't feed them, they'll go hungry. We're in a drought here so the situation is pretty dire. What would you do?

(the cat serves as rodent control, and is just trying to survive herself, so no judgment there, just dilemma.)

Make sure your feeders are out in the open enough so the birds can see the cat coming.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Won't comment since this is a really hot-button for me. I can ask - is it possible to put a bell on the cat?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by watergoddess View Post
    But if I don't feed them, they'll go hungry.
    If you didn't feed them, wouldn't they move to a place with food and water where they could exist without humans feeding/watering them?

If you continue providing them with essentials, won't they live in your area in otherwise-unsustainable numbers, then die off when you stop someday?

I think the world will remain in balance no matter what you do. We live in an urban area and have cats, racoons, possums, squirrels, etc. and they all compete for food. You can fuss and worry but the world will still remain in balance and none of them will go extinct. It is after all survival of the fittesst.

Put the feeders up high enough so the cat can't reach the birds. Or out in the open so that they can see the cat prowling around.

There's some evidence that most of the birds killed by domestic cats are either injured or ill or otherwise unhealthy.

Back when I lived in an area where my cat could go outside, she caught a ton of mice and the occasional chipmonk. Despite her best efforts, and including the fact that I had a bird feeder, she caught a total of one bird in 4 years. She has a very high prey drive and is a good hunter, but birds can fly away.

I agree with moving the feeder to a more open spot.
    I've had to stop feeding the birds as the mess was attracting rodents. I miss watching them.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I would see this more as a cat problem, or more correctly, a cat owner problem. In most municipalities it is illegal to let pets roam free and it is generally considered irresponsible pet ownership. If it wouldn't start WWIII with the neighbor, I would first mention it to them and contact animal control as plan B. Here are some suggestions from the Audubon Society. http://web4.audubon.org/bird/at_home/SafeCats.html
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I once had a cat I put a bell on for that reason, and then weimeraners in the house behind us could hear her going through their yard and broke her back.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

You really can't put a bell on a cat if it is not your cat.

Even if it is your cat, you need to use a break-away collar, so that the cat doesn't get a tree branch stuck in the collar and hang itself. And once the collar breaks, you'd have to buy a new one.

I once had a cat who could get her front paw stuck in a collar, just by trying to scratch herself. They aren't a good idea for the average cat.

Thread Information