Thread: DVR question

DVR question

Hello everyone,

I'm still around and have been lurking/not posting but have a question that I bet someone here can help me with. DH has, after much deliberation, finally agreed to ditch our satellite tv and get an antenna (yay!). He doesn't want to do it unless we can find a dvr to record our favorite shows. We went to Best Buy last night and were told that you can't really buy stand alone dvrs anymore. I'm so NOT tech savvy at all and have been trying to research on the internet but am not really understanding options presented. Has anyone had this experience? Thanks!

Here's what I found, since I'm interested in the answer myself:

TiVO is still around and seems to have the only product that is antenna-friendly: This review was published in 2013, so I'm guessing the Roamio may still be available...

You'll get all that in the base model Roamio, which costs $199 and features four tuners that work with an antenna or Cablecard, 500GB of storage good for 75 hours of recording, and built-in Wi-Fi — an odd thing to call out in 2013, but a first for TiVo. If you're a cord-cutter who wants local TV and you're willing to pay TiVo's $14.99 / month service fee, that's pretty attractive — and pretty much your only option now that Boxee TV has been killed by Samsung.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So only people with cable can record shows via DVRs or do the expensive TIVO thing Catherine mentioned? UGH! I also just have an antenna and don't have a DVR but was thinking of getting onr. Guess I can't anymore. I do have an old DVD player/VCR combo so can record shows on the VCR (do they even still make blank tapes for that?) if I could actually figure out how to program it :-). For now I guess I'll continue to just rent or borrow from the library (free!!) DVDs of TV shows.
    Last edited by Spartana; 1-29-14 at 11:53pm.

Thanks for your responses guys. I did find a product called "ChannelMaster" in my research. It appears to work without a monthly fee and with hd antennae. Jury still out though.

If your computer literate, there is a do it yourself one called MythTV. There is also software to use a Windows pc as a recorder but I don't use Windows. I plan on eventually getting (can't remember its name) a tuner box that sends the signal over my network cable (any device on the network has access). I'd just like there to be some decent stuff on tv first.

Search DVD recorder at walmart.com and I see several.

Thread Information