Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What was the very first thing you wanted to be when you grew up?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It sound pretty interesting except for monitoring pollution cleanups. I'd want to make the polluters walk the plank.
    Keel hull those evil polluters! Or you could just shoot all that massive amount of polar bear and penguin poop you collected at them with the .50 caliber machine gun :-)! Guess that would just make MORE pollution. Job security?

Nurse and mom. Teacher not really although I did homeschool the kids in the early years.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Writer/journalist for me. I loved the cartoon strip, Brenda Starr, Reporter, popular at the time. Ms Starr was one of the few positive role models for young women back then. My father told me the only possible careers for women were secretary, teacher or nurse.

As a quite young child, I once confided to my mother, , "When I grow up I want to have a book in the library with my name on it.." Mom replied, "Oh, big shot, huh?"

Despite the lack of parental support, I majored n English, worked for PR and advertising firms as writer/copywriter/account exec, then formed my own marketing communications firm. That was my career.

When we moved from No CA to NC, I left that career behind and became a full-time writer. My writing has spanned a fictional story for the anthology collection Love on a Harley to a non-fiction anthology essay for the book Nobody's Mother, Life Without Kids.

On the journalism side, I write business articles about changing trends and demographics for various trade publications. And about lifestyle trends for some other publications. I've become a quasi Brenda Starr!

Two years ago, a dream came true when I published a Kindle/Nook novel, Falling Through Time, a woman's journey to the future. The narrator and primary character is a nice-so-nice materialistic advertising executive who undergoes a major life change when she finds herself in the future--and falls into a simple living future scenario...so sometimes life does imitate art--or vice versa.

I'm having a ball!
    peaceful, easy feeling

few positive role models for young women back then
    This is so true for those of us who grew up in the 50s-60s. Looking back, it seemed like the ideals were becoming a Stepford wife or Barbie. No wonder I liked Pippi Longstocking as a kid. At least she had a spirit of adventure. The irony is that I had the perfect role model in my mother who often said she had to get out of the mountains and so went to college in Boulder and got a pharmacy degree. One of the only women in her class. However, she did not work as a hospital pharmacist until she had to when my parents divorced. I do remember her telling me how important it was not to depend on a man financially...way back then.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post

Two years ago, a dream came true when I published a Kindle/Nook novel, Falling Through Time, a woman's journey to the future. The narrator and primary character is a nice-so-nice materialistic advertising executive who undergoes a major life change when she finds herself in the future--and falls into a simple living future scenario...so sometimes life does imitate art--or vice versa.

I'm having a ball!
    Your book sounds very interesting. I just went and bought it.

I wanted to be a surgeon, but my hands aren't that steady, so it was probably a good thing I chose business instead.

I wanted to be a soldier. I spent hours and hours pooring over books of D-day and whatnot.

So I became one, was sent on deployment and that was that.

Nowadays, I am a dad, a hubby, a student and a 40-50 hrs per week-slave.

A librarian. I was a heavy reader from a very young age - and always thought that working in one of those wonderful buildings just chock full of.....you know, books!.....would be an awesome thing.

A mother and a musician/singer. I am both, so I guess you could say I've lived my dreams.

My first ambition was to be an old man (liked my grandfather a lot). Second was just to live all the ages a person can, through old age, so I'd know what each one was like.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Thread Information