Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "New to You" ways to save money.

"New to You" ways to save money.

I have noticed that even though I have learning about and practicing frugality for many years, I STILL discover new ways to save money every so often, which frankly amazes me. So I am interested in hearing from others with the same experience. What NEW ways have you discovered to save you money, in the last year, that you did not realize and/or practice before? For me: buying gallons of milk on sale then freezing in glass jars. That makes sense for me as we don't drink that much milk and purchasing a gallon (the cheapest way to buy) and having it go sour before we drink it all is wasteful. Milk prices are projected to go up 60 cents a gallon soon, by the way.

This may not be the "traditional" way to save money but.... I have been debating whether to get a gym membership. The cost to me is very prohibitive. I am not sure I would use it enough to be of value..... So I started thinking what I really would like to do. Based on what I have been reading, the best type of exercise is water. So.... I started pricing gyms and other places that offer classes. The BEST I have found so far is to contact the local high school that has a natatorium. If you are a senior (or close to it) the cost for a class if a resident is $1 and $2 if a non-resident. WOW... WOW... WOW... How can you beat that? So, I have started taking water exercise classes and the cost to me is $6 per week since I am not a resident (if I go 3x per week). If I was a resident the cost would be $3/week or $12/month. This is unbelievable and a great way to save money on something I really wanted to do anyway! There are also low cost evening classes for other folks that are not that expensive either. YLMV

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    I have noticed that even though I have learning about and practicing frugality for many years, I STILL discover new ways to save money every so often, which frankly amazes me. So I am interested in hearing from others with the same experience. What NEW ways have you discovered to save you money, in the last year, that you did not realize and/or practice before? For me: buying gallons of milk on sale then freezing in glass jars. That makes sense for me as we don't drink that much milk and purchasing a gallon (the cheapest way to buy) and having it go sour before we drink it all is wasteful. Milk prices are projected to go up 60 cents a gallon soon, by the way.

I hardly ever drink milk at home, but it seems like another creative way to use milk, would be to make your own cheese. It's pretty common in some German and Scandinavian countries to routinely make their own Quark. (Gotta love the name)
    Super easy to make.http://germanfood.about.com/od/resou...made_Quark.htmhttp://germanfood.about.com/od/prepa...ds/a/quark.htm

Great thread.

In the past year I've returned to the cash system for discretionary purchases, and it definitely makes me more mindful of spending, particularly on food. When you have limited means of exchange on you in the supermarket, you simply make different choices. Like, "maybe I don't need the brand product," or "maybe I'll just drink water and lemon this week instead of buying soda" Also, cash spending makes you see more clearly the impact of small purchases on the whole, which cuts down those little impulse purchases.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I discovered a website about a month ago that matches up Store Sales with links to online coupons
    http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/store-deals

On the Navigation Bar at top, click through the link on left "Find my Store Match Ups"

Right now I am buying groceries for a family of 4 and we don't do the Costco/Sam's Club thing and I live in a very populated area with competitive grocery pricing, so when I can match up coupons with sales I can get things pretty cheaply.
    I don't do many processed foods, but I still find good coupons on things we do use.
    For example this past week there were $1 off coupons on 'Organic Girl Salad' and coupons on pistachios.
    There is even a tab for Whole Foods.

It does take a little time & some minimal cost in ink/paper.... but I enjoy it...
    One of my life long dreams has been to be on "Price is Right" (the lady that kept me as a small child watched it every day & I was hooked), so it satisfies some kind of obsessive nit-pick urge that I have in me.
    This website makes it so much more doable, without this site the man hours involved isn't worth it to me.

Edit to add: If I find a slammin' deal on things that we may not use, but others might, I buy it for our area food pantry.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    This may not be the "traditional" way to save money but.... I have been debating whether to get a gym membership. The cost to me is very prohibitive. I am not sure I would use it enough to be of value..... So I started thinking what I really would like to do. Based on what I have been reading, the best type of exercise is water. So.... I started pricing gyms and other places that offer classes. The BEST I have found so far is to contact the local high school that has a natatorium. If you are a senior (or close to it) the cost for a class if a resident is $1 and $2 if a non-resident. WOW... WOW... WOW... How can you beat that? So, I have started taking water exercise classes and the cost to me is $6 per week since I am not a resident (if I go 3x per week). If I was a resident the cost would be $3/week or $12/month. This is unbelievable and a great way to save money on something I really wanted to do anyway! There are also low cost evening classes for other folks that are not that expensive either. YLMV
    Very good! Also check out local vocational public schools for very inexpensive hair cuts, car repair, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    I hardly ever drink milk at home, but it seems like another creative way to use milk, would be to make your own cheese. It's pretty common in some German and Scandinavian countries to routinely make their own Quark. (Gotta love the name)
    Super easy to make.http://germanfood.about.com/od/resou...made_Quark.htmhttp://germanfood.about.com/od/preparedfoods/a/quark.h

Great thread.
    I make yogurt at home all the time; it saves quite a bit of money and is healthier than the store bought stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    I make yogurt at home all the time; it saves quite a bit of money and is healthier than the store bought stuff.
    Now that I have raw milk for sale right down the street, I'm getting ready to make my own. It's hard to find yogurt with full fat and minimal ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Now that I have raw milk for sale right down the street, I'm getting ready to make my own. It's hard to find yogurt with full fat and minimal ingredients.

Very true!

Two years ago, we started buying green coffee beans and roasting them ourselves in a big pan on our stovetop. From buying pre-ground, pre-roasted coffee at about $9 a week, we dropped our weekly coffee expenses (2 cups a day for DH and me) to about $2 a week.

Within the past year...hmm. Can't think of anything, other than beginning to use found objects as art supplies. For example, instead of buying canvases, I use pieces of shelving people leave next to their dumpsters when they have busted up a wardrobe. (This happens a lot in Israel, as closets in apartments are rarer than hens' teeth, so everyone uses enormous wardrobes. They are assembled on-site, so they have to be broken up in order to get them out of the apartment, around the corners, and down the stairs!)

Oh, I almost forgot: DH and I have begun cutting each other's hair, which has saved loads and LOADS of money! I've been doing my own trims on my own hair for a few years now, but DH finally got sick of paying someone to do his hair, when half the time he didn't like the results anyway. Now if he grouses at me for how his cut turns out, I just say, "well, you got what you paid for!"

Thread Information