Thread: The Goldfinch

The Goldfinch

This book has been on the NY bestseller list for a while. Why? I finally got a copy from the library and it is the most depressing book with really dark characters. What makes this book so popular? I am flipping the last 1/4 of pages just to scan to see what happens to the characters who seem beyond help in their madhouses.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I loved The Goldfinch. It has so many layers and the characters are wonderfully written. It just goes to show how differently we humans can feel about the same thing...movie...book...recipe...tv show etc.

oh......I thought you meant the bird. Never mind..............

I listened to the Audible version and loved it - it was beautifully read, so that may have helped. I have thought about it a lot since.

I really enjoyed The Goldfinch, but I agree that it becomes repetitious, with the main character agonizing on and on. With some judicious editing it could have been a masterpiece. Still, I think it's better than 95% of the books out there.
    Thick books sell better - people feel they're getting their money's worth. Sheesh.

I am resurrecting this thread because I keep thnkng about The Goldfinch
    now and then. After reading it, I havenet enjoyed another novel as much.

While I agree with
    gardenarian that careful editing would have improved it,
    I still say it was a spectacularly imagined and presented world.

i still have All the Light You Cannot See on my Ipad to read, and I hope that will rise to the level of The Goldfinch.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-11-17 at 12:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am resurrecting this thread because I keep thnkng about The Goldfinch
    now and then. After reading it, I havenet enjoyed a novel much.

while I agree with
    gardenarian that careful editing would have improved it,
    I still say it was a spectacularly imagined and presented world.

i still have All the Light You Cannot See on my Ipad to read, and I hope that will rise to the level of The Goldfinch.
    IL, do you have Gothic vein in your being? I didn't enjoy the Light book either as too depressing and dark. Maybe I am too much of an optimist for such dark stories.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    IL, do you have Gothic vein in your being? I didn't enjoy the Light book either as too depressing and dark. Maybe I am too much of an optimist for such dark stories.
    Haha, well, I do like dramatic works that are not happy-sappy. One very dark novel, one that was gripping but too dark for me was City of Thieves. I had to put it down, too violent. i dnt do war and torture scenes. Also, that novel about North Korea, the one that was on the bestseller lists a few years ago, now THAT was dark and it still haunts me. What an awful place is North Korea.

Anyway, I am awesteuck at
    Donna Tartt's (author of The Goldfinch) ability to stage unique scenes and populate them with compelling action and characters. the Goldfinch was right up my alley: opening scene in Art Museum, stolen world class painting, kid's experiences with mother, friends, reprobate father, ethical line dancing with furniture restoration, drugged out teens, etc. very interesting! The love interest wasnt too great though nor was his shenanigans with the Russian mob.

Tartt has a real fondness for young people in her books, she does very well with them, and she reminds me how truly smart and brave kids can be.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-11-17 at 2:21pm.

Thread Information