Thread: New, sort of

New, sort of

Hello everyone,

I used to read these boards a fair number of years ago (pre the move), but it's been a while.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone, so it seems only fair to introduce myself. I live in a semi-rural area with my partner and my Mom. We have critters too -- two cats, two basset hounds and three alpacas. I'm a sporadic gardener -- last year was hopeless, but this year's going to be better!

Looking forward to talking to you all,
    Mary

Welcome Mary! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Welcome back!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Hi there!
    Are your alpacas pets?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Hi there!
    Are your alpacas pets?
    They're not really friendly enough to be pets -- they like hanging out with me outside in their meadow, and they supervise when I'm digging in the garden, but they don't like being patted. Which is unfortunate, because they're really wooly. They're officially fibre animals (I felt a bit -- "felt" being a verb!), and they provide excellent fertilizer for the garden. Plus when they run across the meadow they look like they are galumphing out of the pages of a Dr. Seuss book!

Welcome back, Mary B! Just curious, do you fleece your alpacas, or is it impossible because they don't like being touched?

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Welcome back, Mary B! Just curious, do you fleece your alpacas, or is it impossible because they don't like being touched?
    Hi Selah!
    We do get them sheared once a year. They're not given an option on that -- it's a process of grabbing and holding down and takes multiple people. There are quite a few alpaca herds where I live (several people have more than we do) and a professional shearer comes to do the deed.

Thread Information