View Poll Results: Should we create a forum for Preppers?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 47.50%
  • No

21 52.50%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we add a Preppers forum?

Should we add a Preppers forum?

Here's a poll to gauge interest here on a forum for Preppers. We've had the request to make a new forum. What do ya'll think about that? Please vote, and add your comments to this thread.

"Preppers" refers to activity to prepare for calamities and includes food storage, homesteading, survival methods and preparation, etc.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-28-14 at 8:44am.

it depends on what one is prepping for. I prepped for years for being able to retire. I prep for hurricane season--food, water, lighting, etc. I don't prep for TEOTWAWKI. I often prep vegetables for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    it depends on what one is prepping for. I prepped for years for being able to retire. I prep for hurricane season--food, water, lighting, etc. I don't prep for TEOTWAWKI. I often prep vegetables for dinner.
    hey Florence, then you could talk about your preparation for hurricanes on the new forum.

I voted yes. Why not? The more info the better.
    I am prepping to get through kids' slumber party tonight. I am just at about a 48 hour window of prepping for anything in life right now, but there have been multiple weather incidences in the area of the country I currently live in & to be perfectly honest, I trust you guys more than I do the internet- as we all come from different sides of the coin and I can hash out various opinions, plus I have great respect for how responsible the people on this forum are.

I don't like the name "preppers". You may think that you know what it means but many will not especially those outside the usual urban setting. Find a better name that explains the possible aim (as the other forums do) of the potential new forum and I will reconsider. I have not voted as yet.
    Last edited by razz; 2-28-14 at 2:57pm.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I would like to see an explanation from those who run the forum as to their definitions of "Prepper" and "Prepping," and how they see this as fitting in with the goals of the forums as a whole.

There are many different sorts of Preppers out there, and some of them have little or nothing to do with Simple Living. While I am not against the idea in general, I'm not sure what adding a Prepping forum to the boards would accomplish, as we have existing forums where these issues can be discussed.

Also, since there are a great many forums already dedicated to prepping out there, why another one, associated with Simple Living, is necessary.

My concerns are drawing traffic to the boards that is not aligned with the goals of this forum. I have to admit that it has changed since moving to the new site, and while I am committed to staying here and trying to make it work, a large influx of people with vastly different goals would change that.

So I haven't voted yet, but am waiting to see what the shape/format/goals of this new forum might be.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I vote to give it a go on a trial basis and let's see what kind of response we get and if it is in general alignment with our board - notice I said "general" - this gives some leeway. If it were to become a hotbed of extreme survivalism, would that be in general alignment with this board? Rob

I voted yes, but on the condition that Rob mentioned. If we find it is not in alignment with our core values, we can always drop it. My permaculture teacher said that there is a contingent in the permaculture community that is practicing it in preparation for TEOTWAWKI. I think that even though our motives are different, there are still things we can learn from each other. (Unless we get too many nutcakes, to use redfox's words.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I voted no, and I consider myself a quasi-prepper. Let me just say that while most of the folks here would likely be someone I'd like to have a beer or glass of lemonade with, that hasn't been my experience on a number of the prepper forums I've found. There's a lot of extremeism, a religious zealot/women-should-do-what-they're-told -because-the-Bible-says-so fringe, conspiracy theorists and the like. When I'm up for that sort of thing, i can seek it out. I'm not crazy about our cozy little haven here being overrun.

I think it's easier to just say no to start with, than to start one up and then deal with it's problems, and trying to discontinue it.

Thread Information