View Poll Results: Should we create a forum for Preppers?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 47.50%
  • No

21 52.50%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we add a Preppers forum?

"Preppers" can also have a perception of being gun collecting (for the purpose of that imminent stand off with the government) and extreme political views that don't come close to what I see as Simple Living (Emerson, Thoreau.) If such a "Preppers" area was created and it attracted that type of person I think it would likely have a negative impact on the atmosphere of the forum in general.

I voted "no."

Well it might make interesting conversation with plenty of passion, whether the world will end in fire or ice is always interesting, I guess But on topic I don't know. It has certain connotations yea. Prepper has a very individualistic atomized connotation. The community orientation of this goes by names like Transition Town and probably wouldn't use the term prepper. What would attract people I have no idea.
    Trees don't grow on money

Lovely stereotypes being thrown out here.

I wondered what your response would be bae. You didn't disappoint.
    There are stereotypes for reasons. I think people have brought up good points.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I wondered what your response would be bae. You didn't disappoint.
    There are stereotypes for reasons.
    Lovely.

Well one can have enough (mostly just doomster boards before 08) to have had enough of that for one lifetime. Though I don't know what character a "prepper" forum here would actually have. I'm not sure it would attract new people. When I think about what new people these days would be after, it's more just survival (but not necessarily survivalism) in these aweful economic times (especially the young), but I really don't know. I'm not in marketing.
    Trees don't grow on money

When reading these forums I simply click the "what's new" button and read the most recent thread titles and posts. I don't even notice anymore which forum someone has posted their questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiana View Post
    When reading these forums I simply click the "what's new" button and read the most recent thread titles and posts. I don't even notice anymore which forum someone has posted their questions.
    That is a good point, Dhiana.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Bae raises a good point. Are we basing our views of prepping on our viewpoint of what the word means to us? Is it our individual thinking that is stereotypical. Since I have no idea what 'prepper' could mean, I have no view. It just sounds like a jargon type of word to me for someone to use like a jargon name for a car, etc. like a muscle car.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Wow, I think I must lead a sheltered life. I voted yes thinking that "prepper" meant stocking up on food and necessities in case there's a storm and you can't use the roads/power/etc. I felt it met with simple living frugal desires to get case lot deals on things you could use. It sounds like there's a segment of the population that I have not met... yet.

For instance, a week or so ago someone pointed out this handy list to me. I bookmarked it since it seemed helpful and we were experiencing quite a storm and I was unsure if the power would go off.

http://www.cookforgood.com/blog/2014...eating-ti.html

Thread Information