View Poll Results: Should we create a forum for Preppers?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 47.50%
  • No

21 52.50%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we add a Preppers forum?

Stereotypes exist for a reason. And "stereotype" is not synonymous with "rule."

Personally, I can't understand why one would want to hoard guns. But everyone has their thing.

The thing about establishing one's own arsenal (as some gun hoarders are hell-bent on doing) is it frequently goes along with the mental attitude that wallows in the post-apocalyptic belief that it's going to be "me and my guns against the starving masses so I'm going to shoot first. Don't get any ideas about my wood pile."

The idea that we're even going to have this civilization-ending meltdown anytime in the near (or even reasonably distant) future or that it would be instantaneous or life-altering is absolutely ludicrous. I mean, come on!

It makes me wonder if some of those preppers aren't actually fantasizing that sort of thing would happen. Maybe they think life in the 21st century is too easy and they want some global-tragedy to befall us all so they can prove to themselves they're still actually alive.

I have not created this stereotype from a vacuum. I don't think this way. I didn't make it up. Lots of "preppers" talk this way.

Maybe I haven't been here long enough to be this presumptuous to state my position so vocally. But I did lurk here for awhile before I registered and read a lot of threads. I have also looked at a lot of other forums. I have seen the image of "prepper" as I've described it all over the web. I would hate to see this site attract that because it's not at all what I'm interested in.

Hilarious stereotyping. Keep on going!

Honestly, the whole issue may be somewhat moot. Just because we start a forum for Preppers doesn't mean our membership is going to suddenly shoot through the roof. Our typical concern is that we aren't growing fast enough.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The idea that we're even going to have this civilization-ending meltdown anytime in the near (or even reasonably distant) future or that it would be instantaneous or life-altering is absolutely ludicrous. I mean, come on!
    climate change might be mostly likely. But everyone still has nukes too.

It makes me wonder if some of those preppers aren't actually fantasizing that sort of thing would happen.
    I suspect so. If they randomly pop in and have little more to say than "Die Off!!!". Um ok.... doomster boards Such may or may not happen, the universe may not care, but it's pretty horrible from any human system of ethics.

I have not created this stereotype from a vacuum. I don't think this way. I didn't make it up. Lots of "preppers" talk this way.

Maybe I haven't been here long enough to be this presumptuous to state my position so vocally. But I did lurk here for awhile before I registered and read a lot of threads. I have also looked at a lot of other forums. I have seen the image of "prepper" as I've described it all over the web. I would hate to see this site attract that because it's not at all what I'm interested in.
    Yea usually based on something encountered on the web (I've seen the "die off" said with glee, the talk of shooting people in the coming collapse, etc. - we're never supposed to be someone who would not shoot another person in such a scenario but it's certainly at least as valid a position to take as the opposite. In such a world is life even worth continuing? Besides the degree that planning for that becomes self-fulfilling socially. It's based on a certain subjectively taken view of human nature - not some kind of absolute truth). And one could say not all people who engage in emergency preparations (prepping) are this or that and that is no doubt true! But to the point where we deny words have connotations?

Forum title could be "emergency/disaster preparedness, building community resiliance for the future, and prepping" and the connotation would be different.
    Trees don't grow on money

I like Rob's proposal and also ANM's suggested title. If we get overrun with rabid EOTW doomsday psychos, we can just start a marathon salad-spinner discussion until they all go away

Okay, I'm a prepper, a doomer, etc. and I will contribute two things:
    1) HELL NO to a special forum just to attract preppers -- there are plenty of us here already. Joe Dominguez foresaw the collapse of the financial system, Vicki Robin foresaw the collapse of the environment, and that's what underlies YMOYL, for goodness sakes. A special forum would either be redundant, or it would attract conversations that are not conducive/helpful to this community. Preppers are already welcome who emphasize the ethos of 'simple living so that others may simply live' -- fwiw so says this prepper.
    (I don't actually have any guns, btw.)
    2) Ya'll crack me up with this thread. Laugh out loud funny.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I like Rob's proposal and also ANM's suggested title. If we get overrun with rabid EOTW doomsday psychos, we can just start a marathon salad-spinner discussion until they all go away

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    +1
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

After the zombies come, you will all have to dry your lettuce by hand, mark my words!!!

Except there was no financial meltdown--they propped it all up before it happened.

Nuclear winter? Zombies? Sorry, I'd rather be dead. Especially if my lettuce wasn't thoroughly dry. I mean, wet lettuce really does ruin a salad...

Thread Information