Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: March Declutter or 100 items

March Declutter or 100 items

It's kind of cheating, but I sort of already reached my 100 things for March... yesterday I finally took and donated all the items in our "goodwill" pile. It's been collecting since the holidays, but at least it is finally out the door! If we get snowed in again tomorrow, at least I have room to clean and continue organizing the family room!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I never declutter anything...

I think that's a problem.

I don't hoard dust balls and I know I have a bunch of stuff I shouldn't bother keeping.

Maybe I should read a book on it. That will distract me from acting awhile.

I should not count things until they actually LEAVE the house. So I'll be back. I have a box started in the basement for this very purpose.

Maybe I should read a book on it. That will distract me from acting awhile.
    Tee hee, onlinemoniker . . .

I have been thinking a lot about decluttering in the sense of PREVENTING stuff from coming in. We have had friends be incredibly generous about passing along baby items, mostly very useful and definitely appreciated, but I also already have a bag of whirring/musical/noise-makey toys set aside to pass along again (I think I have sensory issues with auditory stuff - drives me BATTY). However, I know this is just the beginning of the toy management. I was looking at these fantastic Montessori bedrooms for children and they were so wonderful, just a few beautiful toys and plenty of space to play with it all. Anyway, just something I've had on the brain. I also read (and bought - and I only buy the best books I read) "Simplicity Parenting" because the author's message was so important for me and I think will be something I need to go back to and continually work on - basically, less is more!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

March declutter - my 3 chest of drawers. I am sure I can find 100 things in there alone. Old papers, old electronics, and at least 100 CDs I have not listened to in years (and if I have then I have already ripped them onto my computer). Once that decluttering is done, then I can move stuff from my overstuffed closets into the drawers! OK, it is a start.

fidgiegirl- yes, I remember how generous people were in giving things to/for the kids. It really was wonderful and saved us a lot of money while allowing us to "try things out" without investing a lot of money. One thing I did learn was to ask... "Do you want this back when we are done or can I pass it on?". Their answer help me decide whether to accept the item in the first place or not.

btw - congrats again!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Took three bags of dd's stuff to Goodwill - about 40 items.

I had a realization recently. I've always felt guilty about getting rid of the things dd is attached to, but maybe the clutter in her life is holding her back the same way clutter does to me.
    I feel a lot less guilty about getting rid of those toys when I think that I'm actually doing my child a disservice by holding onto them.

Kelli - nearly all of the toy/book/puzzle clutter dd has is from gifts from other people. I'm not sure how to block that politely, but if you can find a way - do it!

I came across a box of scores of small floppy discs. Likely my grad school work, old photos, etc. Oy vey! What to do with them?????

Thanks all for the words of wisdom. Great tip about "do you need it back?" Baby isn't even born and I've already run into wondering that with some maternity clothes from my friend that I know is not going to be preggers again - too small for me. Should just ask! We shall see how it goes!

redfox, do you need to recover content from these disks? If not, garbage
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Fidgie: Good move on the simple baby life. I have several coworkers who have had kid(s) in the past couple years. So much CRAP. It's unbelievable. Apparently there's even a special giraffe teething ring that must be had! And on and on and on...

Actually have been inspired. Getting rid of 14 pieces of silverware and a sheet so far this month. We're out for snow today and probably tomorrow but when we go back I'm going to pick up some paper boxes and start filling them with crap I want to get rid of.

I have SO MUCH crap in this house that I haven't touched in YEARS. I need to give it to Goodwill or sell it on ebay! My project for the summer...

Thread Information