Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Student loan mayhem!

I made the post after hearing someone my age on ithis site, talk about a masters degree debt of $50,000. That seemed excessive to me considering that she had someplace to live.

But In UL's favor, the cost of an undergrad degree at our state university if not living with with parents is $25,000 annually, so that degree costs $100,000. That cost is listed on the top page of U of MO website.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-26-16 at 10:05pm.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Ooh, interesting field!!!
    Yes, though extremely unlikely to ever throw off enough income to pay for the necessary education :-(

My suggestion that she minor in petroleum engineering didn't go over well :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Yes, though extremely unlikely to ever throw off enough income to pay for the necessary education :-(

My suggestion that she minor in petroleum engineering didn't go over well :-)
    I think it is very cool that you support her still.

I bet she finds her way to a good job either way.

You can take your first 2 years of undergraduate at a community college and save lots of $. If you have good grades you can usually get most of your Master's degree paid for by working as a TA for the college. I would certainly not pay $ for any of my kids to go to college for a degree that you know will not yield a job. Unless you are going to medical school or or going to become a lawyer that amount of $ is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You can take your first 2 years of undergraduate at a community college and save lots of $. If you have good grades you can usually get most of your Master's degree paid for by working as a TA for the college. I would certainly not pay $ for any of my kids to go to college for a degree that you know will not yield a job. Unless you are going to medical school or or going to become a lawyer that amount of $ is ridiculous.
    It is too late for me. I am a loan drone!

Williamsmith
    I feel very fortunate....
    My oldest spent $4000 for vocational training in tool and die making. He's been employed ever since.
    My middle got an accounting degree......works for the state auditing banks. She has paid off her share of student loans.
    My youngest got a degree in Sports Management....... He works for a national food service company and is in charge of MinuteMaid Park Houston Astros and the University of Houston. Paying off student debt will take a few years.

None of this liberal arts stuff for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    None of this liberal arts stuff for us.
    Liberal arts is good for the mind, but not for making money.

I think it ends up being bad for the mind when your can't afford your loans.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would certainly not pay $ for any of my kids to go to college for a degree that you know will not yield a job. Unless you are going to medical school or or going to become a lawyer that amount of $ is ridiculous.
    There are some realms of human knowledge that would be unpopulated by researchers if "yielding a job" or "making $$$" were the standard.

Now, if I were a kid starting off, with no support, would I launch into a career path where I'd have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested before I got my first $30k/year post-doc job digging up old manuscripts? Probably not.

I hope I can squeak by on my associate's degree for the next 8 years or so. I don't think my total outlay was over $2500 - and I got a small Pell Grant to cover part of that. I moved back in with my parents for a part of it (paid small amount for rent), but I came out of school debt free.

On the other hand I'm still paying down debt I took on when one of my daughters went to school, but only about $8k left.

Thread Information