Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you use a Kindle / Kindle vs. Physical Book

Freshstart and Catherine, are they really only 6 inches? For me that is part of the problem, the small amount of text on the screen.
    It sounds like original would be better- I looked them up last night and they were really down in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Freshstart and Catherine, are they really only 6 inches? For me that is part of the problem, the small amount of text on the screen.
    It sounds like original would be better- I looked them up last night and they were really down in price.
    If you can use Kindle PC, you have all the real estate in the world.

The aspect of e-books that is limiting for me is book sharing. Just like getting your music via downloads and played through individual devices, these personal electronics tend to create separation in places where I used to connect with people (such as my e-reading, iPodding spouse). I love to share books and music with friends and get their points of view to add to my own and not having a physical object to take in hand seems to make this less real.

I know that makes me sound like a Luddite but I am not. I have an iPod and an iPhone and I have used DH's e Reader before and it is awesome for travel and reading in bed. And holding a real book, feeling the edges of the paper and even smelling it is part of the overall reading experience for me.

Non-frugal confession: on the weekend when the library was closed, I went to the thrift store and bought a stack of summer paperbacks.....

Quote Originally Posted by leslieann View Post
    The aspect of e-books that is limiting for me is book sharing. Just like getting your music via downloads and played through individual devices, these personal electronics tend to create separation in places where I used to connect with people (such as my e-reading, iPodding spouse). I love to share books and music with friends and get their points of view to add to my own and not having a physical object to take in hand seems to make this less real.

I know that makes me sound like a Luddite but I am not. I have an iPod and an iPhone and I have used DH's e Reader before and it is awesome for travel and reading in bed. And holding a real book, feeling the edges of the paper and even smelling it is part of the overall reading experience for me.

Non-frugal confession: on the weekend when the library was closed, I went to the thrift store and bought a stack of summer paperbacks.....
    Depending on the publisher, sharing books on Kindle is fairly simple.

Quote Originally Posted by leslieann View Post
    I went to the thrift store and bought a stack of summer paperbacks.....
    There is nothing like a paperback on the beach, smelling of suntan lotion,or sunblock these days. Sigh.

I originally bought my Kindle Fire when I was commuting daily on the train, and now I use it most when I travel, for the same reason: several books n a small device.. However, it took some getting used to, as I am a very fast reader, and I was getting dizzy from swiping the pages so quickly!

I can also use it to access the web and it's helpful to see a map in a larger format than on my Samsung smart phone, for instance. Mostly it's just a fun toy!

I do have the Kindle app on my MacBook and I have downloaded several reference books. That I find quite useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I don't have one and don't think I'd like it. Picking up a book or magazine is a good rest for my eyes from the computer screen. I have macular degeneration among a few other eye problems and probably shouldn't be on a computer/phone screen as much as I am...especially at night I'm only 50 and already have night driving issues.
    The Kindle Paperwhite is much easier on your eyes than a computer/tablet. It's a dedicated eReader and doesn't have the shiny/reflective screen.

I didn't read all the posts, but here is my .02
    I have an Amazon Fire 7 (multipurpose tablet.) I use the library digital services Hoopla and Library2go to their full extent. I find it handy on days when the library is closed and I have nothing to read. It's also good for reading at night without disturbing anyone else - you don't need lights. I wish I had one when DD was a baby!

Overall, I far prefer reading on paper, but ebooks have their place.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thread Information