Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with 2 lbs of ground pork

What would you do with 2 lbs of ground pork

I don't cook pork often (my husband is Jewish so I wait till he's out of town).
    I knew what to do with the bacon and porkchops and sausage, I've just never used ground pork before. I've bought Boston Burger before that has pork mixed in.
    This has all been really good stuff from the ranch around the corner from my family farm. I think my dad helped fix a piece of machinery or pulled his bulldozer out of a mud rut or something. The rancher is always gifting with food and then dad shares with me!

So...favorite ideas I can try?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Chili, with nice Hatch green chilis

Sausage, made fresh (no need to put it into casings, hand-shaped patties do fine)

Pork hamburgers

Pork & green beans, Chinese-style

Sausage and kale soup, breakfast sausage, Asian inspired meatballs.

I have a bunch of casserole recipes that you can add either pork or hamburger to.

I was wondering if it could be used like a breakfast sausage patty. I may try a few of those and the sausage/kale soup is a great idea. I'm also going to see what pinterest has for pork & greenbeans chinese style. I wondered about chili...I'm putting in an order for pinon coffee later today so I should add hatch to that list. Ran out from my last weekend in NM already. The ladies I worked with in NM in the 80's made a big pot of hatch green chili stew almost daily but that was shredded pork..hadn't considered using ground in it. Thanks!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I would use it to make dog food, but that's because my husband is allergic, so I don't cook meat for us.
    Or split it and make sausages out of half.

Traditional meatloaf is a mixture of ground beef and pork.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Ground pork mixed with an equal amount of ground venison and spices makes a nice sausage.

I have venison. I will give that a try. Looking up sausage spices added to list of things to do. Ground venison is lean so adding another meat to it really pumps up the flavor. I'll have to remember to label things well my husband will eat venison but I don't want to sneak any pork into his food!

I recently discovered the usefulness of ground pork in making all kinds of wonderful dishes. Safeway sells ground pork sausage, spicy ground pork sausage, and Italian sausage in rolls, in the cured meat section for some reason, and I regularly lay it away in the freezer for soups and breakfast dishes. I've never tried putting it in either chili or meat loaf, which makes me way late to the party.

Can you get skull and crossbones stickers?
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 11-14-17 at 3:52pm.

Thread Information