Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

I tried to watch The Rider with a friend and finally we just walked out. Interesting background information to the production. Roger Ebert raves about it.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-rider-2018
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    Its finally on Netflix A documentary about the biggest municipal embezzlement in US history All the Queen's Horses . Rita Crundwell syphoned off over 54 millions dollars from the City of Dixon Illinois over a 20 year period to fund a very lavish over the top lifestyle ( is a diamond encrusted SpongeBob SquarePants pendant considered over the top )
    I remember reading an article about this. Amazing that the city *never* audited her the entire time. Did they ever recoup any of the money?
    Fraud on that level - where you look your neighbors right in the eye and lie, for years - is just staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I remember reading an article about this. Amazing that the city *never* audited her the entire time. Did they ever recoup any of the money?
    Fraud on that level - where you look your neighbors right in the eye and lie, for years - is just staggering.
    The city Of Dixn was audited. The auditors were not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    We had something on a lower level/cost. They were going to prosecute one person (embezzled 100K), but everyone about her had embezzled more, so they just shut everyone down. Certainly a reason for complaints about taxes and waste.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    We had something on a lower level/cost. They were going to prosecute one person (embezzled 100K), but everyone about her had embezzled more, so they just shut everyone down. Certainly a reason for complaints about taxes and waste.
    Many years ago at MegaCorp. there was an inside embezzlement as well, but on a much smaller scale, total of about $300,000. It was 2 guys from the finance dept., and they were actually caught and turned in by their co-workers who had become suspicious. Turns out one of the guys had taken some of the money - about $100,000 - and donated it to his church. Of course they were fired and MegaCorp. really downplayed it. The church made out the best because the company did not want to be seen as forcing the church to return the money.

As much as a pacifist DH is, he seems to love action movies. I tried to find one acceptable on Redbox yesterday, but all too violent (or stupid) for me.

One sci-fi one looked good and had excellent ratings......"A Quiet Place" with John Krasinski and Emily Blunt. It was about a post-apocalyptic time and this family (with 1 deaf girl) and 2 boys were the only ones around and had to be silent all the time, or these monsters would find and kill them, since the monsters didn't have eyesight....only hearing.
    Well.......don't bother seeing it. Afterwards, instead of reading the great reviews of it, I read the bad reviews and they were all absolutely right. Silly premise with silly/illogical choices on the parts of the parents. And none of us understand why there were so many great reviews.
    So.....that's one movie you won't have to see.

There sure are a lot of dumb and/or boring movies out. It feels like the 1970s, when popular culture really *bottomed out.
    I'm looking forward to the next "Mission Impossible", for pete's sake.

*I know some will take issue with my thinking the 70s we're a cultural desert, but, with a couple of exceptions (Star Wars) I stand by that.

One of my new VT neighbors (summer only--he's from Long Island) recommended the film "Peter and the Farm"--a year in the life of a hard-working, hard-drinking, Vermont farmer. It's on Netflix.

It's hard to watch, but I forced myself to watch it because it really got to the marrow of life for this farmer, and probably many.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Saw The Leisure Seeker and Meditation Park on an international flight recently. Both excellent. Very enjoyable.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Atlas shrugged.
    I saw the ending of part 1 some years ago, but never saw the rest, or read the book. A family member found the three disc's for $1.
    I do wish the same actors would have been in all three, as it makes it feel somewhat disjointed. (need to look up how far apart they were filmed)

EDIT: Horrible. The way done, it might have well been three separate film studio's creating the three separate parts. I expect there are lots of things the movie just shoved down and left large chunks in the book.
    Last edited by ToomuchStuff; 8-6-18 at 1:41am.

Thread Information