Thread: Excitement today

Excitement today

We were at the Chicago airport today when the SWAT team showed up carrying AR15s. I told DH I had dibs of going under the seat in front of us. With so much commotion and people scurrying around it was not evident that they were in formation to pay homage to Sept 11 with a moment of silence. Isn’t it sad that the first thing I thought of was trouble? They even had drug sniffing dogs present.

Those were probably not AR15's, but rather M4 Carbines which are fully automatic weapons. They look pretty much exactly alike.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

You miss the point. The exact weapon is moot.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm glad I wasn't there. A SWAT team in a country with minimal at best checks and balances against the power of the police? I would have fled with concern for my life. I am aware there are those reading this who won't understand - to me (and I'm far from alone in this) this is America as it really is today. Just grateful I was not there and hopefully this SWAT team did not illegally create any new victims. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Just grateful I was not there and hopefully this SWAT team did not illegally create any new victims. Rob
    I think if they had massacred the people ahead of them in the line at Cinnabon we would have heard about it by now.

Good lord, I was at the small grocery store down by the ferry landing, and a bunch of uniformed Coast Guard thugs pulled up in a fast boat, wearing body armor, carrying "AR15s" (actually M4s, as the AR15 isn't a military weapon), and SIG P229s.

They roughly waited in line, bought sandwiches and coffee, and then demanded to talk with me for a couple minutes about when we were going to go out and do search & rescue practice in the fog again.

Jackbooted thugs. I can't believe we survived.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    G

They roughly waited in line, bought sandwiches and coffee, and then demanded to talk with me for a couple minutes about when we were going to go out and do search & rescue practice in the fog again.

Bae, I thought of you when we were watching the Thunderbirds last summer and simultaneously, the Coast Guard had to go in where they were flying and rescue a woman was sailing and was 9 months pregnant.

The fog has to make it tough.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Good lord, I was at the small grocery store down by the ferry landing, and a bunch of uniformed Coast Guard thugs pulled up in a fast boat, wearing body armor, carrying "AR15s" (actually M4s, as the AR15 isn't a military weapon), and SIG P229s.

Not the same! When you see a SWAT team going into formation and drug sniffing dogs... it brings you up short!

The first time we were in Italy I was shocked that the police carried automatic weapons. There actually are 2 different types of police forces. That was in 2002 and 2007. We never saw that in Poland. We left a few days before the million person march in 2002 and they were everywhere. Many were in armored vehicles and they were standing with their heads out of the top. They were prepared for trouble but I don’t think anything happened.

Thread Information