Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ACB Hearings

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My understanding was that Biden says he would lower the ceiling on ACA premiums to 8.5% of income and lower the Medicare eligibility age to 60. Not sure how he would pay for it.
    That whole “pay for it “thing is quite an old concept.

Please try to keep up. The United States budget it is whatever we want it to be.

I can hardly wait for Obama care premiums to move to 8.5% of income. People will still scream that it’s too much. I guarantee it when I query those who screamed to me that it was too much, this will make no difference. It really needs to be “free” To resonate with that crowd.

My understanding was that Biden says he would lower the ceiling on ACA premiums to 8.5% of income and lower the Medicare eligibility age to 60. Not sure how he would pay for it.
    The same way one might pay for a tax cut for rich people?

8.5% of income (as if that was a fixed predictable thing - the whole idea is badly thought out) for premiums in plans with high deductibles where one still might not be able to afford to see a doctor just due to the deductible alone. The 8.5% is not maximum out of pocket afterall. "Not free" might be small costs at point of service, this isn't even affordable.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The same way one might pay for a tax cut for rich people?
    Yes. Convince a gullible public that deficits don’t matter, borrow as much as you can and pay it back in debased dollars. Nobody suffers except savers and lenders, and if they complain accuse them of greed.

The public wasn’t consulted when the rich get tax cuts.

Yes. Convince a gullible public that deficits don’t matter, borrow as much as you can and pay it back in debased dollars. Nobody suffers except savers and lenders, and if they complain accuse them of greed.
    or foolishness, for not investing better and why not, the same foolishness we would accuse people of when their job is outsourced etc, should have planned better is the usual response.

I mean sure I'd like 6% returns on a savings account or whatever, would be nice but …

In truth government spending is only inflationary in certain conditions, but that 6% on a savings account still isn't happening.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    For the second one raising the cap on earnings subject to Social Security taxes seems the obvious answer, since costs have skyrocketed since the program began. Other alternatives are not politically palatable. They could include:

Setting wage and price controls in the medical industry, especially where there is a monopoly (say, only one maker of a device) or an oligopoly

Restricting access in government programs a la the UK, as in you don't get to run up 80% of your lifetime medical costs in the last few weeks of your life when you are terminal, we will help you die in no pain at home or in a hospice instead of giving you false hope that you can live forever

That seems like the policy we've lived with for the last 3.5 years and maybe longer, so maybe no change? I'd just like to earn enough on my savings to keep up with or beat inflation by a little instead of losing money by being safe with savings..

I'm pissed off at Barrett's refusal to engage in any meaningful conversation...seems she's just flipping off Congress by refusing to give any answers at all. I guess this is a savvy political move, one I would expect from a consummate lawyer..and that she thinks avoiding commitment and covering her ass is appropriate and smart, which is why a lot of Americans have no respect for the legal profession anymore. She may actually turn out to have some integrity and independance - Kavanaugh and Roberts haven't turned out to be exactly the obedient syncophants the Trump administration expected..but I wouldn't be surprised if she goes hardcore "handmaiden" with reactionary, ultra-conservative decisions after all. That is certainly what the Republican agenda would want from her.

she wouldn't even given an answer as to whether a President could pardon himself???!!?

Thread Information