Page 364 of 422 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366374414 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,640 of 4212

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

As some of you know, one of my favorite towns I have ever lived in (for short periods of time) is Ocean Grove, NJ. I used to rent an off-season home for $950 a month. At one point, I dreamed that someday I could be a permanent resident. I loved everything about it.

The COVID diaspora from the cities and the housing bubble ruined that dream. Of course, I'm now living my dream in VT, and am thoroughly happy here, but I still can't get over how unreachable OG would be if I ever changed my mind about Vermont.

Look at this Zillow listing. $1.5M.... for a tiny plot of land!! No house!!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...39342521_zpid/

It also makes me believe that all the charm of OG will soon be gone because despite the fact that its a historic landmark town with rules, the character of the town will completely change.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    As some of you know, one of my favorite towns I have ever lived in (for short periods of time) is Ocean Grove, NJ. I used to rent an off-season home for $950 a month. At one point, I dreamed that someday I could be a permanent resident. I loved everything about it.

The COVID diaspora from the cities and the housing bubble ruined that dream. Of course, I'm now living my dream in VT, and am thoroughly happy here, but I still can't get over how unreachable OG would be if I ever changed my mind about Vermont.

Look at this Zillow listing. $1.5M.... for a tiny plot of land!! No house!!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...39342521_zpid/

It also makes me believe that all the charm of OG will soon be gone because despite the fact that its a historic landmark town with rules, the character of the town will completely change.
    what do you mean “the character of the town will completely change? “ Rich people like their architectural integrity so as you mentioned, I can’t see that changing. But I suppose it is annoying when people who run their lies by writing out a check take over a town. We saw we saw a neighborhood change to “checkbook rehabbers” and that had some consequences I didn’t especially like.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    what do you mean “the character of the town will completely change?"
    The old Victorian homes have been kept intact and in good shape pretty much for 150 years. It was developed by the Methodists who had a very clear, communal, holistic vision of the town. Therefore, they consciously designed the blocks so that everyone could enjoy the ocean to the extent possible. Also, one of the unique features of the town is the tent community. The church is surrounded by platforms and in the summer generations of families have come and built their semi-permanent tents there. I cannot image that "rich people" from NYC are going to look kindly on the "riff-raff"---I also don't think they'll give a rats ass about blocking a neighbor's view.

Plus, they might say they like good design, but does that mean they really know Victorian architecture, or that their modern touches won't completely overshadow the vintage aura of the town?

This reminds me Madison, where I grew up in the summer--all the "rich people" have made similar changes to that town. Of course, the older generation hates it. The only solace I can take from this, now that I live, not on the ocean, but at least on a lake, is that maybe someday my kids will say "Wow, Mom and Dad only paid $164k for the house and NOW it's worth 1M!!" And that will be nice, as long as higher taxes don't force them to sell, which is what happened to my old Madison friends and neighbors.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

If the building code does not prohibit blocking ocean views, then they arent protected.

The tent aspect seems very cool.

If the building code does not prohibit blocking ocean views, then they arent protected.

The tent aspect seems very cool.
    Here's an article about the tent community:

https://www.theinnsofoceangrove.com/...n-grove-tents/

Here's an article about the tent community:

https://www.theinnsofoceangrove.com/...n-grove-tents/
    some of those furnished tents are super cute, but what do residents do for food? There is no cooking facility. A summer of eating out is not appealing to me.

some of those furnished tents are super cute, but what do residents do for food? There is no cooking facility. A summer of eating out is not appealing to me.
    Actually, the semipermanent front room is attached to a cabin that has a kitchen. I forgot about that.

"The front room, or canvas room, in each tent is covered by a canvas roof framed by a wooden structure on three sides, with a front door individually purchased by tenters. Creating a seamless, enclosed space, the canvas room is attached to the cabin, with a kitchen, toilet and shower. The total enclosed space is roughly 600 square feet. Many tenters have ingeniously carved out spaces for everything from tiny bedrooms with bunk beds to areas for the most prized possession of all: a stacked washer and dryer."

Actually, the semipermanent front room is attached to a cabin that has a kitchen. I forgot about that.

"The front room, or canvas room, in each tent is covered by a canvas roof framed by a wooden structure on three sides, with a front door individually purchased by tenters. Creating a seamless, enclosed space, the canvas room is attached to the cabin, with a kitchen, toilet and shower. The total enclosed space is roughly 600 square feet. Many tenters have ingeniously carved out spaces for everything from tiny bedrooms with bunk beds to areas for the most prized possession of all: a stacked washer and dryer."
    very cool! 600 sq ft is a LOT of space

I imagine change is coming there, unfortunately. I went to high school for two years in Middletown and we rented in Seabright at first. We used to go to Asbury Park. It was so seedy. But so cool! My first job was working at Rite Aid in Red Bank. My mom loved New Jersey--it was one of the last places she remembered living.

We visited Ocean Grove, NJ one afternoon and I looked on the internet for a few weeks wondering how it would be to live there. It was such a lovely town. I am sorry to see the big money taking over. it's often, not good for ambiance. We've seen it in Ocean City, MD, Frederick, MD. Nice family neighborhoods houses bought, torn down and a monstrosity built. But, I guess that is just change, even with codes and historic districts, height restrictions....somehow worked around to allow it.

Thread Information