Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trends in home decor

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    I think the most interesting and pleasing decor is the one a person constructs from the things he/she loves.
    A friend once thought she had no taste in decorating so she hired an interior decorator. The décor was beautiful (the don’t touch type) but it was not her so I was not impressed. I would rather see a home reflect the person I know and in which they are comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I agree. All her fixer uppers look exactly the same to me. They have a line now at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I like mid-century modern and had it in my townhouse, clean lines, little clutter. Then I moved with the hoarder parents and everything is hodgepodge of each of ours stuff. I was able to make the common areas presentable with a mix of modern and traditional. If my mother was well, she'd have all those signs, ugh. My very wealthy cousin just did a wall of her bedroom in ship lap as if she had discovered it. I'm sure that trend will pass soon or at least I hope it does. We did paint all the common areas two shades of grey before I realized grey was a thing.
    I visited ghe home og one of my garden club ladies at Christmas time. Her ranch style house was decorated in grey and red, and her Christmas decor was mostly white. It was so pretty, I loved it! It is hard for me to like anything in
    post 80’s tract houses, but this one felt rich and pulled together, I was impressed.

Joanna Gaines is at Target, too. It just never ends.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I like to have things that mean something to me. I have a bookcase in my dining room that is full of family photos and items that people gave me that I value.

Yesterday, I finally unpacked a few boxes of odd decor that we brought with us to Colorado. They have been in the boxes for going on two years. It was like meeting old friends again - a small jade frog, a cut glass prism to hang in a sunny window, antique bronze bookends...and a small box that said rocks. It was full of beautiful seashells and specimen rocks I had saved from trips. These little things made me feel more at "home" instantly and brought back all the associated memories.

I inherited much of my furnishings from a family funeral home business. At a time I had described my furnishings as early mortuary and I had a little attraction for the Adams family home. I still have some of those pieces left, but have been going more for simple lines and smaller footprint. The evolution of wood popularity is interesting. Oak seemed like the rage a few years ago, but now it's lighter woods although walnut has a place for higher end things. Metal looks to be more common. I'd rather have something a little dated than rain forest wood or some sort of saw dust or plywood composite with veneer.

I browse Craig's list routinely for a few items on my wish list. The volume of cheaply made and outdated furniture for sale is amazing. It seems to me like there are bargains for the older what we would call antique furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I browse Craig's list routinely for a few items on my wish list. The volume of cheaply made and outdated furniture for sale is amazing. It seems to me like there are bargains for the older what we would call antique furniture.
    I agree! I've been perusing the internet for first and second hand furniture, and I have gotten the most excited about what I see on Craigslist! I love a good patina on furnishings and you just don't get that with brand new.

Speaking of which... a while back I posted on whether or not to use my great-aunt's silver for every day up the in VT house, and I was encouraged by you guys to do so. I'm so glad I did. As we speak I am soaking the old tarnished monogrammed 1920's era silverware in baking powder, salt, and boiling water, and it really works! The silver looks great, and it makes me very happy to see my aunt's monogram on it. I feel connected to her. Now I just have to instruct people to be careful throwing stuff away, but whatever. If I died, my kids would either throw it out because they don't know its worth (solid silver) or they'd sell it for scrap or pennies at an estate sale. And it collected dust in my sideboard for 30 years. I'm thrilled to be using it today.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That's great Catherine! funny how as we age using rather than displaying or storing is more important.

We use Corelle dishes in our house because my parents need them to be light and unlikely to break, but when I have my own place again, I am using my Grandmother's china as my only dishware. I use it occasionally now and it brings back such happy memories. I highly doubt my kids are gonna want it so it's gonna get used with love.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Last year I brought you the decor trends from big box stores like Hobby Lobby and Home ______(something) and Michaels that consisted mostly of

1) nautical themes

2) giant sized letters of the alphabet

3) lanterns.

So, as your emissary from consumer land, let me tell you what I saw last week:Farmhouse! We are all now expected to make our homes farm homes, even apparently (and probably especially)suburban track homes. So yeah. Itis a big NOPE for me.
    The Joanna Gains effect!

Thread Information