Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My year of sports fandom!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    If it is not attending the games, rooting for the team, watching the games with friends & family, wearing the regalia, and learning about the teams...then what does a fan make?
    IMHE, living vicariously through others, while getting drunk, and then having meaningless conversations about sports, around everywhere. (at work, delaying those who are waiting to get out of there, etc. etc. etc)
    Not much different then those who bury their head in cell phones (and sometimes the combine).
    And from other members of the family, who watch tv, interrupting normal programming for a waste of air space, and instead of putting the show on one of their other subchannels (example, 4.1 to 4.2), screwing up the season. I get this, as I used to watch more.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    IMHE, living vicariously through others, while getting drunk, and then having meaningless conversations about sports, around everywhere. (at work, delaying those who are waiting to get out of there, etc. etc. etc)
    Not much different then those who bury their head in cell phones (and sometimes the combine).
    And from other members of the family, who watch tv, interrupting normal programming for a waste of air space, and instead of putting the show on one of their other subchannels (example, 4.1 to 4.2), screwing up the season. I get this, as I used to watch more.
    Uh... what?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Uh... what?
    I think the issue of sports fans pushes a button for TmS for some reason. Fandom certainly is possible without getting drunk. *raises hand* And I'm a fan of the local NHL hockey team but not a cable subscriber; I can tell you the team doesn't wreck the broadcasting schedule of any broadcast station in this area...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I think the issue of sports fans pushes a button for TmS for some reason. Fandom certainly is possible without getting drunk. *raises hand* And I'm a fan of the local NHL hockey team but not a cable subscriber; I can tell you the team doesn't wreck the broadcasting schedule of any broadcast station in this area...
    I am a lifelong teetotaler.

Okay, I am scheduled to attend a Columbus Clippers minor league baseball game April 14th with a gal I know.

Then on April 28th I am scheduled to attend a Columbus Crew major league soccer game with a good friend of mine who happens to be a big fan of this soccer club.

Moving right along...

So, Ul, are you auditioning these teams for the year or are you going to follow a bunch of them?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I remember the year my mother followed the Drake University Womens’ Basketball team. We kids refer to that as her Lesbian year.

Some years prior to that she and my dad attended Nascar events and she has a big thing for
    Doug Wolfgang. god,I still remember that driver’s name and that mudt have been 30+ years ago. We sometimes refer to that period as the White Trash period of our parent’s life.We are kinda mean.

anyway, I never understood my mother’s rah rah adoption of random sports events. Oh I forgot, she became a big Baseball Cardinals fan when she took up with boyfriend #2 who came to St. Louis fairly often to attend games.

My own interests seem to be baked into my genetics: cats and dogs with pushed in faces, flowers, old buildings. Those interests never waver, they just manifest in different forms. Sports has never been a lifelong interest, but I did follow Ice Skating for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    So, Ul, are you auditioning these teams for the year or are you going to follow a bunch of them?
    I am following these teams for the year:

-Baltimore Orioles (after a great opening day against The Twins things rapidly went downhill for the second two games of the series).
    -OSU Buckeyes (I work for OSU and live in Columbus).
    -Columbus Blue Jackets (local team, easy to attend games).

I am considering supporting an NFL team, but I think that might be overdoing it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I remember the year my mother followed the Drake University Womens’ Basketball team. We kids refer to that as her Lesbian year.

Some years prior to that she and my dad attended Nascar events and she has a big thing for
    Doug Wolfgang. god,I still remember that driver’s name and that mudt have been 30+ years ago. We sometimes refer to that period as the White Trash period of our parent’s life.We are kinda mean.

anyway, I never understood my mother’s rah rah adoption of random sports events. Oh I forgot, she became a big Baseball Cardinals fan when she took up with boyfriend #2 who came to St. Louis fairly often to attend games.

My own interests seem to be baked into my genetics: cats and dogs with pushed in faces, flowers, old buildings. Those interests never waver, they just manifest in different forms. Sports has never been a lifelong interest, but I did follow Ice Skating for a few years.
    You might be mean, but it is still kinda funny. haha

At this point, this is just a year long experiment. I am open to feeling differently about it by the end of the year. So who knows? That is the point of an experiment. You don't know what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

When my great aunt died, there were three pictures hung in her room at the nursing home: Pope Paul IV, JFK and Mike Ditka.

Thread Information