Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Equifax leak?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I checked today and mine was impacted, so since I had issues with Equifax's freeze I tried to sign up for their True Identity but they said they have a high volume of requests, it may take days to get confirmation that I am enrolled, I must keep checking my spam folders, and no phone number was provided to call for assistance. The evening news reported they are not responding to interview requests (although their CEO previously said how they respond to the breach and not the breach itself would define them). Nothing they do seems to work.

My letter to them demanding redress went out in the morning's mail. I have no desire to phone their call center in the Philippines.
    Well, it wouldn't surprise anyone that Equifax has combined the response of TrueID with terms of service clauses that shield the company from liability arising from claims based on their own screw up. Basically, if you check if you are at risk on their site, in order to get a response you have to accept their terms which provide for broad immunity and forced arbitration. In other words, the attorneys get the millions of dollars and you get the pennies in the settlement.

They must be preparing for the nuclear option.

This is from the Equifax website:
    September 11, 2017

We are committed to keeping consumers updated on the steps we are taking to provide them with the support they need and address any issues they are facing in response to this incident. We recognize that some consumers continue to face challenges and in response we have made the following updates:

1) Adjusted our PIN Generation for Security Freezes
    We understand and appreciate that consumers have questions about how a PIN is currently generated for a consumer initiating an Equifax security freeze solution. All consumers placing a security freeze will be provided a randomly generated PIN.

2) Call Center Support
    When we recognized that Hurricane Irma could impact some of our call center wait times, we arranged to ramp up agents quickly to replace agents impacted by the storm and updated our website to make consumers aware of the situation.

3) Clarification Regarding Automatic Sign-Up to TrustedID Premier
    We are not requesting consumers’ credit card information when they sign up for the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection we are offering to all U.S. consumers. Consumers who sign up for TrustedID Premier will not be automatically enrolled or charged after the conclusion of the complimentary year of TrustedID Premier.

4) Obvious Link from Equifax.com
    To make it easier for consumers to find the website dedicated to providing information about this incident, we have reconfigured our website, www.equifax.com, to feature the link more prominently.

5) Adjusted the TrustedID Premier and Clarified Equifax.com
    We’ve added an FAQ to our website to confirm that enrolling in the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection that we are offering as part of this cybersecurity incident does not waive any rights to take legal action. We removed that language from the Terms of Use on the website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com. The Terms of Use on www.equifax.com do not apply to the TrustedID Premier product being offered to consumers as a result of the cybersecurity incident.

We are listening to issues consumers have experienced and their suggestions. These are helping to further inform our actions, and we are now sharing regular updates on this website. Thank you for your continued patience and feedback as we continue to improve this process.

Quote Originally Posted by simplelife4me View Post
    Thanks for this clear article.

We were not, apparently, involed in this
    equifax hack, but it is still a good idea to freeze credit. This is in my goal list for this month.

Williamsmith
    Thanks for the links and information above.

I froze Equifax last night. Damned if they're going to get another chance to screw this up. Put a fraud alert on the other two.

I disagree that it's their reaction to this which will define them. That worked for McNeil when some sociopath was opening up bottles of Tylenol and adulterating them. McNeil has no control over what happens on store shelves. Equifax is supposed to provide and (implicitly) protect data. They had ONE job. And they &^#%ed it up. I really hope to see some high-level falling on swords. But I won't put much faith in that happening.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I froze Equifax last night. Damned if they're going to get another chance to screw this up. Put a fraud alert on the other two.

I disagree that it's their reaction to this which will define them. That worked for McNeil when some sociopath was opening up bottles of Tylenol and adulterating them. McNeil has no control over what happens on store shelves. Equifax is supposed to provide and (implicitly) protect data. They had ONE job. And they &^#%ed it up. I really hope to see some high-level falling on swords. But I won't put much faith in that happening.
    I don't watch news or read it pathologically like a lot of people in my position but it seems to me that this should have been a news story the size of Enron or the housing bubble. It really has the potential of doing extreme harm...does it not? So if I am in a position of controlling the sensitive information of half the country, doesn't that make me a huge security risk in and of itself? How does three companies get the monopoly on this business? And why can't I opt out, completely?

Checked myself out and not one of the affected ones.

I put a freeze on both my accounts and my husbands...all told, maybe an hour to get it done. Morning show said to check innovis as well, so might do that today. I really MUST get these papers all organized! I will change all my banking passwords, too.

Williamsmith
    Okay, a stupid question maybe....I went to TransUnion and was funneled straight to the TrueID website which offered "free" credit freeze. When I filled out the infor, at the bottom was a statement acknowledgement that I agreed with the terms and the arbitration clause. What? Funny how that word keeps showing up!

Thread Information