Page 78 of 601 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178578 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    If we had a functioning federal government, they could have taken charge (Defense Production Act, anyone?) a couple of months ago.
    To borrow bae's phrase from another thread, don't use reason and logic! I don't believe any previous administration would have gotten it 100% right, but you had to know this one would foul it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore
    if the common cold is any indicator, natural immunities don't develop
    If I remember my biology correctly, the issue is that the common cold mutates very quickly, so developing antibodies for one strain can be of little help for the next one. The same with the "common" flu -- there are enough strains of it that the flu shot recommended annually is an educated guess at which strains will be most prevalent in a given flu season. What I've read so far about this coronavirus, though, is that it seems to be a slow mover, which could help in developing a vaccine.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We've been trying to replace migrant farm workers since at least the 60's. It's never going to happen.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...high-schoolers

TLDR version: The government set up a program called the A-TEAM and recruited 18,000 high school students to replace migrant farm workers one summer. As an editorial summed it up at the time:

But the national press was immediately skeptical. "Dealing with crops which grow close to the ground requires a good deal stronger motive" than money or the prospects of a good workout, argued a Detroit Free Press editorial. "Like, for instance, gnawing hunger."

If we want Americans to do those jobs we'd have to treat them like Americans, not like migrants who can't speak up when they are being treated atrociously.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I don't believe any previous administration would have gotten it 100% right, but you had to know this one would foul it up.
    I'd say that the Obama administration got Ebola almost 100% perfect. But people don't talk about it precisely for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'd say that the Obama administration got Ebola almost 100% perfect. But people don't talk about it precisely for that reason.
    I'll grant that what I've read of their handling of the situation was pretty well textbook, yes. Too bad that's another Obama achievement that someone felt he had to go out and sideswipe.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We've been trying to replace migrant farm workers since at least the 60's. It's never going to happen.
    yes if one wants to complain about immigration it seems the wrong focus. Take jobs Americans have actually done not that long ago like construction. Take H1B work which is often desirable jobs. But agriculture, yea, I don't think it's a strong case.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    The longer this goes on the less I trust the government. Today my state had a "record" number of deaths, but they are going back in time and reclassifying deaths. The number of deaths in the past 24 hours is NOT up. The number of cases also keeps going up because they don't ever subtract out recovered patients. The media launch each newscast with alarming numbers, but the figures are "lies, damn lies, and statistics".

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The number of cases also keeps going up because they don't ever subtract out recovered patients.
    Cases are cases. Just because someone recovered doesn't mean they didn't get the virus and doesn't mean they emerged unscathed from having it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The longer this goes on the less I trust the government. Today my state had a "record" number of deaths, but they are going back in time and reclassifying deaths. The number of deaths in the past 24 hours is NOT up. The number of cases also keeps going up because they don't ever subtract out recovered patients. The media launch each newscast with alarming numbers, but the figures are "lies, damn lies, and statistics".
    A case recovered is still a confirmed case. They should NOT be subtracted.

It's a question of knowing what data you are looking at. Current cases seems hard to find locally. Nationally it's available but who knows how accurate : https://www.axios.com/ (the dashboard)

But I wonder if at this point there is any way to even know recovered versus current cases? I mean suppose someone goes to a drive by corona test, however longer later they found out they have corona virus, the labs have this info that they tested positive, but does anyone actually follow up on recovery?

If a person goes to the hospital and is released that's recovery maybe, but what about those who don't go to the hospital? I guess you can phase out and assume recovery is cases 6 weeks ago minus deaths or something. Only most corona virus cases aren't even that old at this point! I mean we aren't really up to doing contract tracing at this point, so what are the chances noone is really tracking this?
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Yes, it was handled very well. Science driven with docs driving the bus. President Obama was aware of his knowledge deficits and deferred to his experts.

Thread Information